Trying to identify this DC motor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by betting5, Dec 30, 2012.

1. betting5

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 30, 2012

I extracted this motor from a logitech printer, but I can't remember what it was attached to.

It has four wires, but I carelessly cut them from the circuit board it was attached to without looking at the names of each wire from the pcb. I'm assuming that since it has four wires, it is a sort of shunt motor, but I'm not sure about that. The resistance between the orange and yellow wires is the same as the resistance between the brown and black (roughly 16 Ω).

The armature can be rotated fairly easily when not connected to a circuit, but if a battery is connected between either the orange and yellow, or the brown and black wires, the armature locks such that it is unable to rotate.

Haven't been able to find a data sheet for it, it has a code "J57B83NT" printed on the bottom.

Anyways, sorry for the long description, but all I want to know about it is how I can connect it to a circuit to get it to rotate the armature.

2. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    Its a stepper motor & requires an electronic driver, not a DC motor. Very common in printers. If you want to know how they work try Google, im not good at explaining the operation of things.
    betting5 likes this.
  3. SPQR

Nov 4, 2011
    I too am a newbie, and over the last year I've learned quite a bit about steppers.
    As mentioned by debe, your device is a stepper, and they are very commonly used by hobbyists for other things.

You can identify steppers by (1) their number (2) do what you did and (3) if you turn the shaft and you feel "jumping" it's most likely a stepper.

To "drive" a stepper you have to have a controller that can supply the correct voltage and current to it.
    You might look at the board you disconnected it from and find a chip that it was connected to and look up that number - it's the controller.

Then you need to have something to "control" the "controller".

If you google with
    printer stepper motor driver circuit
    you'll see many ways you can use your device.

Best of luck.
    betting5 likes this.
  4. bertus

Apr 5, 2008
    betting5 likes this.
  5. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    A 4-wire stepper is normally a bi-polar type.
  6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Definition of a bipolar motor: one that doesn't know which way to turn.
  7. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    Very clever Mr Chips, i like that!!
  8. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    And it might as well be a 3phase star motor, those are typically in old hard disk spindle motors, but from the picture it most likely is not.
    shortbus likes this.
  9. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    Does that mean a unipolar only goes 1 way...?