Trying to build a motor control circuit with discrete input for position control

Zoomie13

Joined Aug 27, 2006
Hello all!

I have a Denso 12V motor (p/n 063700-1544) that I'm trying to use for a temperature control driver. At the moment, I can use an available Toshiba TA8050P motor driver chip and a 3 position switch to drive the motor fwd/off/rev. Full sweep, the motor drives thru 90 degrees.

However, I'd like a more elegant solution using a rotary switch that has 15 discrete positions. I'd like this circuit to be as simple as possible; it will be driven by a 12V power supply.

Attached is a scan of the motor drive circuit board: (the attached wiring is listed 1 thru 5 at the image bottom. 1 and 2 are the motor leads. 3, 4, and 5 provide resistive feedback. At full sweep one way, there is 4.8kOhms between 3 and 4 and 1.45kOhms between 3 and 5. A 90 degree full sweep the other way, there is 1.3kOhms 3 to 4, and 4.9kOhms 3 to 5. The resistance varies linearly between these extremes).
I'll list the switch logic in the next post...

Attachments

Zoomie13

Joined Aug 27, 2006
Continuing...

The rotary switch I'd like to use has 5 leads: A, B, C, D, and common. The following grid shows the 15 discrete positions available:

1___A
2___A_B
3_____B
4_____B_C
5___A_B_C
6___A___C
7_______C
8_______C_D
9___A___C_D
10__A_B_C_D
11____B_C_D
12____B___D
13__A_B___D
14__A_____D
15________D

Can anybody help me find a simple, elegant, solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Søren

Joined Sep 2, 2006
Hi,

However, I'd like a more elegant solution using a rotary switch that has 15 discrete positions. I'd like this circuit to be as simple as possible
Use a normal rotary switch, or you'll have to use a D/A-C (or an A/D-C if used another way).

Connect resistors of appropriate value to each switch position and use a comparator (with a bit of hysteresis to avoid hunting) to compare the resistance of the switch with the resistance from the motor gizmo, add a buffer/driver and Bob's your uncle.