Trying to build a miniature battery powered fog machine

Lawless Flogic

Joined Jul 15, 2013
I'm trying to make a miniaturem, battery powered fog machine, and I have no clue where to get started when it comes to the electronic part of the machine.

The machine needs to be 6 inches or less in length, 3 inches or less in width, and 2 inches or less in height.

The hopefully includes the battery, but I can get away with the battery being separate.

The budget is less than 500$. This will be in close contact to skin, so it needs to be thermally and electrically insulated.

Here are my ideas so far (kinda strays away from electronics). Please be patient with me, since I know little about electronics.

The fluid to be vaporized will flow in slowly. Glycerin-water combo. My first idea (I know it's stupid) was to have a peltier element sandwiched against a metal plate or something with a .5mm gap between them for the fluid. The peltier could be turned on and off at whim. I'm just not sure about the temperatures that the peltier can produce.

My other idea is to use a regular heating element or something instead of a peltier. I have no clue where to start when it comes to heating elements, and the circuitry needed for them.

Please be patient and help me out :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are several types of fog. Are you thinking of a heated fog? Have you considered the volume of fog juice that needs to be stored within the volume you gave? In other words, how long do you need the thing to run?

Getting the battery, pump, heater and fog juice reservoir into that volume will be a challenge, never mind the circuitry and controls.

36 cubic inches of dry ice might give more fog than you'll get from your machine.

Lawless Flogic

Joined Jul 15, 2013
There are several types of fog. Are you thinking of a heated fog? Have you considered the volume of fog juice that needs to be stored within the volume you gave? In other words, how long do you need the thing to run?

Getting the battery, pump, heater and fog juice reservoir into that volume will be a challenge, never mind the circuitry and controls.

36 cubic inches of dry ice might give more fog than you'll get from your machine.
If worst comes to worst, it needs to fit in a 1 foot x 3 inch x 2 inch area. IT doesn't need to run for long, maybe ten minutes TOTAL. *needs to turn on for 5-10 seconds to generate proper smoke for a picture.*

My main issue is the type/size/power of the heating element I am going to use. I know nothing about heating elements.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Why don't you find a second hand fog machine on the net and then use some skillz to modify it to run off a battery

piranha3380

Joined May 28, 2013
ultrasonic fogger,
i made 1 for my terratium and runs off a 24 volt supply
this is cold to the touch and totally safe and dosnt pose any inhalation problems or the smell that oils could have, (worked whit the proteq 2200 alarm systeem foggers)
only challange i can see is having a 24 volt source and inverting it to 24ac,
needs to be 5cm below the surface of water to propperly work and dos not need a warm up time but just a fan to ''gently'' push the fog out, dont run the fans on full tilt or it wil blow your fog apart, might need more than 1 ultrasonic element tho but they arent that expencive,

hope it helped abit :)

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I'm trying to make a miniaturem, battery powered fog machine, and I have no clue where to get started when it comes to the electronic part of the machine.

The machine needs to be 6 inches or less in length, 3 inches or less in width, and 2 inches or less in height.

The hopefully includes the battery, but I can get away with the battery being separate.

The budget is less than 500$. This will be in close contact to skin, so it needs to be thermally and electrically insulated.

Here are my ideas so far (kinda strays away from electronics). Please be patient with me, since I know little about electronics.

The fluid to be vaporized will flow in slowly. Glycerin-water combo. My first idea (I know it's stupid) was to have a peltier element sandwiched against a metal plate or something with a .5mm gap between them for the fluid. The peltier could be turned on and off at whim. I'm just not sure about the temperatures that the peltier can produce.

My other idea is to use a regular heating element or something instead of a peltier. I have no clue where to start when it comes to heating elements, and the circuitry needed for them.

Please be patient and help me out :)

Try this site for hacking foggers:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/79991-fogger-timer-prop-timer-hack.html

Lawless Flogic

Joined Jul 15, 2013
Here's what I am thinking about doing:

2, 4, 6, or 8, etc e-cigarettes. An even number. 6 or 12, for a more advanced version.

For a large machine I will use 12. Divide the 12 into groups of 6 and use tubing to connect and merge each group of 6 into one tube. Hold this thought.
V
For smaller machines (2-4 e-cigs) use one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC12V-65KPA-miniature-vacuum-pump-diaphragm-pressure-pump-negative-pressure-/151022689727#vi-content
Connect the e-cig main output tube to the negative pressure port on the pump. Connect a tube to the output port on the pump, and route it to desired location. Hook up battery pack and momentary on-off switch. This configuration would have a running time of about 10 seconds.

Why so many cigs, you ask? So that you can switch between groups of cigs while another group is cooling down.

Either a manual switch, or an automatic switch that is activated every 10 seconds.

Any tips, comments, thoughts? If you want to talk to me, email me at cll4545@gmail.com please. I don't log into this website frequently but I check my email hourly.