Troubleshooting-Voltmeter or Ammeter

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
with signaling and logic type circuits, voltage indicates activity of signal. In power circuits, amperage indicates level of power transmission. In robotics you have both, however, given the choice, a voltmeter is likely the tool you'll use to troubleshoot the majority of problems.

CR9

Joined Jan 1, 2010
will this reason count--

--We should use a voltmeter because wires and connections of the circuit do not have to be disturbed when compared with an ammeter. --

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Draw your self a straight line,one end do a plus sign,
the other end draw ground sign. Near to the plus sign
put a fuse symbol.Next do a switch symbol,next draw
little square,call It devise.Now you have a complete curcuit.
As your devise get larger,your voltage and current increases.
Pick out a devise that need (no fuse), (29" T.V.),(10 amp A.C. unit),
(9 volt transistor am fm radio).

Last edited:

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
will this reason count--

--We should use a voltmeter because wires and connections of the circuit do not have to be disturbed when compared with an ammeter. --
No, it won't count. If during the troubleshooting process, you want to measure current, then you'd insert an ammeter.

However, with that being said, I just finished a stint of school, and part of answering the tests, is knowing the instructor's language and methods, and tailoring the replies/answers to meet thier expectations.

In the process of troubleshooting, listening to the complaint is paramount. Understanding what is being asked is a very useful tool.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
First and foremost, you should know what the device is suppose to do. Then you can evaluate it's success or failure.

I've seen some who couldn't recognize a failure in a system if it bit them on the butt. That is the typical manifestation of lacking knowledge.

I taught a computer controlled loran-C receiver maintenance course in the late 70s. The only test equipment used was the tty printout, the nixie displays, the display oscilloscope, the PDP-8/E lamps, and the 60 mA tty current meter.

Not only did the students know which PCB caused the failure, they knew which signal in the receiver I disabled to make the symptoms.