Troubleshooting-Voltmeter or Ammeter

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by CR9, Jan 1, 2010.

1. CR9

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    In robotics,for troubleshooting do we use a voltmeter or an ammeter? Explain.

2. Fraser_Integration

Nov 28, 2009
    I don;t do robotics, but presumably you are more interested in current because of the motor effect.

3. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    with signaling and logic type circuits, voltage indicates activity of signal. In power circuits, amperage indicates level of power transmission. In robotics you have both, however, given the choice, a voltmeter is likely the tool you'll use to troubleshoot the majority of problems.

4. CR9

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    will this reason count--

--We should use a voltmeter because wires and connections of the circuit do not have to be disturbed when compared with an ammeter. --

5. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Draw your self a straight line,one end do a plus sign,
    the other end draw ground sign. Near to the plus sign
    put a fuse symbol.Next do a switch symbol,next draw
    little square,call It devise.Now you have a complete curcuit.
    As your devise get larger,your voltage and current increases.
    Pick out a devise that need (no fuse), (29" T.V.),(10 amp A.C. unit),
    (9 volt transistor am fm radio).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    No, it won't count. If during the troubleshooting process, you want to measure current, then you'd insert an ammeter.

However, with that being said, I just finished a stint of school, and part of answering the tests, is knowing the instructor's language and methods, and tailoring the replies/answers to meet thier expectations.

In the process of troubleshooting, listening to the complaint is paramount. Understanding what is being asked is a very useful tool.

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Without your meters,think how a devise would be used in real time.
    A learning experience with out meters.

8. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    You get a conversation going after question,after question
    then they are gone for days.

9. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    First and foremost, you should know what the device is suppose to do. Then you can evaluate it's success or failure.

I've seen some who couldn't recognize a failure in a system if it bit them on the butt. That is the typical manifestation of lacking knowledge.

I taught a computer controlled loran-C receiver maintenance course in the late 70s. The only test equipment used was the tty printout, the nixie displays, the display oscilloscope, the PDP-8/E lamps, and the 60 mA tty current meter.

Not only did the students know which PCB caused the failure, they knew which signal in the receiver I disabled to make the symptoms.