Troubleshooting Coaxial Surge

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ragnatech, May 6, 2011.

1. ragnatech

Thread Starter New Member

May 6, 2011
    I have 2 identical APC surge bar. When I plug in the main coaxial from the cable company in the bar upstair's it works fine. But when I try plugging that same main coaxial cable, using an RG6 extension coaxial cable, in the APC downstairs I get a surge and it triggers the breaker. A little more detail, I have an old home, the APC upstairs is plugged into a 3 prong outlet with NO active GROUND and the APC downstairs is plugged into a 3 prong outlet with proper ground. I also tried plugging the main coax into a 4 way splitter/amplifier. The out upstairs works fine plugged into the APC but the out going to the downstairs would spark when I try attaching it to the APC.

Anyone can help me pin point the problem? Should I call the cable company and have a tech come take a look at the ground in the cable box outside? Or should I not use RG6 cable and maybe go get RG59 to replace it?

2. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    This sounds like a dangerous situation. There may be something wrong with the cable company's equipment, or perhaps with your house mains grounding.

I would not bother with trying different coaxial cable until you have had the setup properly checked by qualified personnel. You should begin by getting the cable company to check their system. If they find their equipment is OK, you may need to get an electrician to investigate your house wiring.

Whatever you do, be extremely careful not to touch the coaxial cable and connector: you might get a lethal electric shock from it.

3. ragnatech

Thread Starter New Member

May 6, 2011
    Thanks Adjuster for the advice, I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.