Trouble stereo system

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Interitus, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Interitus

Thread Starter Member

Nov 8, 2009
    My parents bought a Sony STR-DE715 several years ago. A few months ago, the center channel died. They normally ran the system on a mode that made the sound come out the rear speakers louder so they could hear it while exercising. They didnt even notice a problem until I got home and tried to watch a movie, or even regular tv. But the center channel had a lot of noise to it and I swapped speakers and checked the connection and ended up blaming the unit itself. So for christmas they got a new stereo system, and I got this old one.

I just got it setup, and started playing my music and trying to fine tune the settings for music. I have the audio coming from my computer, going into the Video 1 input. It was sounding great, if a little bit of echo. Then I got to a song where the audio was sortof fading in and out, sounded like the volume was going haywire, along with the EQ settings. At the time I had it on the audio setting Mono Movie, as it was nice and loud out of all speakers. Not all songs seem to be doing it, but some songs are really terrible. A lot of my old MODs seem to be doing it, and Gorillaz - Fire coming out of a monkey's head is one song that does it very obviously. The bass seems to remain untouched, but everything above it goes really low to inaudible. Its almost as if certain frequencies are messing up the stereo. INXS - Elegantly wasted is also doing it.

Any idea what could be causing this? Along with the noise on the center channel? Is it something that could be fixed? I'd like to be able to use this to watch movies on, but if the EQ messes up now and then it'd just drive me nuts.

2. Interitus

Thread Starter Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Update: Ok I switched the input to the 5.1 input from Video1(which was just 2 inputs) and its not going all weird now. If only I had another speaker to try out the center speaker...