Trouble powering motor

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Well, no.

The TS said " A DC supply with 700mA gets the motor going with good speed..but no torque.."

It doesn't take a genius to observe whether a motor is running or not so I think it is safe to assume that this is in fact the case.

You then go on to say:

"If you have a scope, you can probe the output wires of the toothbrush controller to the motor and observe the controller signals - which will tell you what kind of motor it is."

"If it was brushless, you would need to identify the number of windings you have and where they are in relation to one another. Then you would have to drive them in sequence.

How many wires are coming out of the motor?"

Which contradicts the TSs observation that the motor runs when a DC supply is connected directly to it. Of course, it may be a brushless motor with a built-in controller but that is not what you were referring to because you wrote about the control signals coming from the toothbrush controller and speculated on the motor having multiple windings.
No, that is what I was referring to. I was trying to get a picture of what we were working with since we were not given one from the description given.

I was responding in kind to the question asked of me of how it might be driven - which could be easily determined given the output from the toothbrush as whether there is a built in controller, or not, doesn't matter.