trouble downloading mplabx 2.26 ide

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by tracecom, Nov 24, 2014.

1. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I downloaded the file, but when I tried to install it, there was a missing payload error. I tried to download it again, but after a few megabytes, the browser shows it complete. I get the same error when I try to install it even after clearing the file cache. I already have 2.05 installed. What to do?

2. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    To test for you, I just downloaded it from here.
    Filesize is about 373.5Meg
    So far so good with Win 7-64 Pro.
    Moved the ..setup.exe file from Firefox's download folder to the desktop and ran it as administrator. Had to uninstall previous version before setup would continue.
    Setup completed, launched MPLABX and the IPE; everything seems to be there.

Try moving the setup.exe to the desktop or another archive before launching?

Good luck

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. tracecom

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks, John.

I was able to download the installer, and it started running, and requested I uninstall the previous version. I tried to do that with the un-install routine that came with MPLB X 2.05, but that failed. Then, I tried it from the Win 7 control panel, also failed. I don't get any error message, but it just doesn't uninstall.

It's not my day.

4. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Is there an error in the Windows system or application logs?

Have you checked the MicroChip MPLabX forums?

5. tracecom

Apr 16, 2010
    Here's a screen snip of the error log, but I don't know if there's anything significant there.

6. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I was looking for entries in the Windows Logs | Systems and Windows Logs | Applications. You're going to have to flip through the entries for anything related to MPLabX and note the details of the error.

The next container, Applications and Services may also contain some information.

Since there's likely many entries, simplify it by having nothing running on the system (background programs, browsers, AV if you can get say with it) then note the time and try uninstalling. MPLab. Now you have a limited time frame to look for errors.

I'm hoping that you can identify a specific error. Screen shots and log dumps provide too much information to remotely grok.

My guess is either a missing file or restrictive permissions.