Trophy points -- Possible bug?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
As a point of interest (Re: promotions) it seems that, once upon a time, 200 counted posts qualified as 'senior':confused::eek::D -- Inasmuch as promotion is tied to trophy points, 5000 counted posts appear to be the current trigger -- Kewl how these fora mirror 'real life' as regards the ever increasing retirement age!:D:D:D

Best regards
HP:cool:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
As a point of interest (Re: promotions) it seems that, once upon a time, 200 counted posts qualified as 'senior':confused::eek::D -- Inasmuch as promotion is tied to trophy points, 5000 counted posts appear to be the current trigger -- Kewl how these fora mirror 'real life' as regards the ever increasing retirement age!:D:D:D

Best regards
HP:cool:
Yup, I plan to use my AAC trophy points to supplement some of my expenses when I retire. If I put enough effort into AAC between now and retirement, some modeling shows that my $3.29 Starbucks will only cost me $3.29.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Yup, I plan to use my AAC trophy points to supplement some of my expenses when I retire. If I put enough effort into AAC between now and retirement, some modeling shows that my $3.29 Starbucks will only cost me $3.29.
So, what are trophy points worth on ebay?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
HP I searched for subject of 2500 posts and found out it is documented bug for almost two years! See here
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/error-in-trophy-point-calculations.103684/

Also @WBahn said exact same concern as you about little bugs can mean bigger problems. So @WBahn and @bertus know all about it but they don't say anything on your thread here which they must have seen:rolleyes:! HP I say you have right to expect better courtesy than that:mad:!
Why must we have seen it? You tagged me and that's why I'm seeing it now. Sorry if you feel that's somehow discourteous.

Yes, I reported the bug nearly two years ago -- and made the point that I didn't care about trophy points but rather that it reflected a bug somewhere, either in the set up or in the code base, and that bugs that have meaningless symptoms should still be investigated and fixed since they can have larger, unseen, implications. But all I caught was pure grief (including from someone that recently got all worked up because their post count didn't seem right to them) because people don't seem to comprehend that. As far as I can tell, the bug has not even gotten a moment's thought and no one with the necessary privileges has even looked at the set up to see if it's a simple matter of the setup not matching the posted breakdown (which, in itself, would reflect poor coding that should be corrected since the posted breakdown should be drawn directly from the setup for the actual computation) or if it is a bug in the calculation, which should at least be reported to XenForo.

It's not a hill I'm willing to die on, so all I can do is hope that this particular bug doesn't have wider implications, such as being indicative of an exploitable hole in the software's validation engine.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi HP,

I am sure you are kidding. There all lots of errors in the Trophy Points. I don't attribute that to any favoritism. I suspect they are manually counted and awarded whenever someone gets the time to look at them or when a member raises a question. The update interval seems at best to be irregular. You will be fixed soon. ;)

Regards,
John
No, they are not manually counted, they are automatically calculated.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
If you are paying that much for coffee, you "don't need no stinkin'" trophy points.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
No, they are not manually counted, they are automatically calculated.
Or rather, they are automatically miscalculated.

ETA: Or maybe not...I was just awarded the points for 2500 posts. If I had only waited a few more minutes before posting....

2nd Edit: Wow, now I have achieved the exalted rank of AAC Fanatic. I wonder if that is better than AAC Lunatic. I also wonder why lunatic doesn't rhyme with fanatic.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This bug should be all fixed now. Better make some more room on your trophy shelf.
Thanks jrap. Out of curiosity, what was the problem? Was it something in how the trophy points were set up, or was it an actual bug in the software? Given how quickly you fixed it, I'm guessing it was a setup issue.

Last edited:

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Thanks jrap. Out of curiosity, what was the problem? Was it something in how the trophy points were set up, or was it an actual bug in the software? Given how quickly you fixed it, I'm guessing it was a setup issue.
It was my inability to set it up properly :oops: A bug in my brain and not a bug in the software.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This bug should be all fixed now. Better make some more room on your trophy shelf.
There is still a problem. For instance, Wendy still has not received points for either the 2500 Post level or the 10,000 Post level while everyone else that I've checked that has passed those levels have received the points.

Perhaps it's just a matter of when the calculations are done. It could be that they are only updated when a person visits the site. That actually makes a lot of sense as a good compromise between recalculating them each time they are needed verses storing them in the database as they are awarded for quick lookup. If the system is configured properly then the only points that could go unawarded for any length of time would be the time-related points (5 years, yada yada). But that means that in this instance, anyone that will get more points as a result of this fix won't be awarded them (and, hence, no one else will see them) until they log in again.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It was my inability to set it up properly :oops: A bug in my brain and not a bug in the software.
Thanks.

So I take it that the place where you set up the points and the place where the Help system gets the information for the table of trophies are not the same place?

If so, I'd recommend making the suggestion to XenForo that they might want to consolidate those two things. If an admin decides to change the points for a particular trophy or add/remove a trophy, then they shouldn't have to go and separately update the table of trophies -- that's just begging for inconsistencies -- the software should generate the table of trophies from the actual set up of the award levels. Should be a trivial enhancement to make.