Trivial HV Programmer for PIC16F87x - safe?

timarlop

Joined Oct 27, 2009
I'm looking for cheap programming my first PIC (PIC16F876A) with the help of FPP (Free flash PIC Programmer) to use in this capacitance and ESR meter project.
After searching for some designs I find out this version of the Trivial High Voltage Programmer using a CD4050 CMOS non-inverting buffer by the same designer of the capacitance and ESR meter. It is based on Byron Jeff's Trivial High Voltage Programmer.
Can I successfully do it with this cheap programmer ?
Does someone has any experiences with it ?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I would recommend the Pickit 2 programmer from Microchip. It is USB based and MPLAB compatible.
But if your budget are low I suppose the programmer will work. But I would have used a more user friendly prototype board.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
If I'd made a circuit board that looked like that second link there is no way I would post pictures of it on the internet.
I'd also recommend the Pickit 2 or a clone. I've heard of lots of problems with parallel port programmers and newer versions of windows. That's if PCs still have parallel ports - mine doesen't.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If you are going to build something why not build a Pickit 2 clone. If you Google "pickit 2 clone" You will get many good links. In order to get this build working you must find a way to program the UC used in the project. So it is "The chicken or the egg causality dilemma" ;)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I purchased the PICKIT 2 starter kit for use at home and is very happy with this tool. It was very cheap and work well. Anyway what ever you select, I would go for something that is MPLAB compatible, and not limited to one chip series. The PICKIT 2 or a clone will be MPLAB compatible. It is much more convenient to do every thing in one design environment.