Triple State status LED

Phillikl

Joined Aug 13, 2012
So, been racking my brain against the wall most of the day; and I have come to a stale-mate and need an assist.

My Goal: Have a single LED show the state of 2 different power supplies.

Example: RGB LED

PS1 & PS2
PS1 online
PS2 online
While the easy way out would be just apply an LED on the board for each power supply and call it a day. However, due to the footprint of the project, I am trying to keep all parts to an absolute bare minimum.

Thanks for the assist!

~Kendall

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
The quality of the answer depends greatly on the quality of the question. What are the power supply voltages, and need a spec on the led for starters.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Get a bi color led, 3 leads, common cathode. Drive 1 led off PS1, other led off PS2.

No supplys: leds off

PS1 only: color 1

PS1 only: color 2

PS1 & PS2: color 1 and color 2.

I don't recall how colors blend, but I believe a red/blue led will also glow orange with both on.

You will have to be careful in resistor selection to get them to glow at proper intensities so the blended color shows true.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Get a bi color led, 3 leads, common cathode. Drive 1 led off PS1, other led off PS2.

No supplys: leds off

PS1 only: color 1

PS1 only: color 2

PS1 & PS2: color 1 and color 2.

I don't recall how colors blend, but I believe a red/blue led will also glow orange with both on.

You will have to be careful in resistor selection to get them to glow at proper intensities so the blended color shows true.

You should have also mentioned to have a common ground between the 2 power supplies connected to the LED, so it will light from either one....;)

Phillikl

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Thanks guys! Appreciate the response. That was the option I kept steering too, but for some reason was over thinking the entire scenario. Now that I have a second opion I can go blow some comps up! LOL

Thanks again,

~Kendall