Triggering a cell phone to send a message

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by RodneyB, Apr 22, 2013.

1. RodneyB

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I am wanting to trigger a cell phone to send a message to selected numbers. I may be doing the wrong search but I can find nothing on the Internet
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Maybe the government is removing from the internet, ways to trigger multiple bombs with one cell phone...:eek:

RodneyB likes this.
  3. RodneyB

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 28, 2012
    possibly BUT all I want to achieve is if my mom has a fall or is attacked she can push a remote and it will send my brother and I a message and we can help her.

We will leave bombing to the sickos

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Personally, I don't know how to do that. I can't even get my cell phone to forward messages to my home phone (which has a recorder on it).

Maybe someone else knows?

5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    It wouldn't be hard on the Android OS, just a matter of adding people to a list and sending a message once a button is pressed.

Without knowing about your phone, it would be hard to suggest much else...

6. JimHung

Apr 21, 2013
    If you had an Android device, maybe you could use a Dev board like the IOIO with a bluetooth dongle to create an alarm pendant your mum could wear on a safety lanyard in case she falls. The pendant would be paired with the android cellphone (so she wouldn't necessarily have to carry the phone at all times) and maybe just feature a big push button so it was easy to use.

You could code an app for the IOIO/Android that waits for the button press and fires off the SMS messages as needed. I'm not sure if the IOIO needs an app to be listening at all times for it to work, so at worst you might need to pick up an old android handset (probably pretty cheap) and just have it permanently plugged in and listening.

Here's a google book on projects for the IOIO: http://books.google.com/books?id=Q3...&pg=PA26#v=onepage&q=IOIO trigger sms&f=false

Jim

7. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Why can't she just carry around a prepaid cellphone and when needed she sends you a message? With a smartphone it could be as easy as putting a single shortcut button on the mainscreen to send the message...

I know it would work on my windows mobile device... Android for sure as well.

You can get a used device for cheap.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Even my cheap cell phone has an emergency number preset. (I un-programmed it because I kept butt-dialing my sister.) LOL!