triac triggering

Cbaz

Joined Oct 27, 2009
For my dissertation I'm investigating different methods of triac triggering. I have looked at basic methods such as control using a capacitor variable resistor and DIAC but my superviser has advised me to look at using pulse train and impulse train signals to control the gate. The triac is be used as a dimmer circuit. I would be grateful for advice on triggering methods.

Cbaz

Joined Oct 27, 2009
a pulse would be a single long pulse used to trigger the triac. impulse would be lots of short impulses which would eventually trigger the triac. can you suggest possible logic setups that would trigger the gate and do these need to be used to with a current transformer to amplify the gate current

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Any pulse that fulfills the triggering requirement will do. So it's not correct that -
a pulse would be a single long pulse used to trigger the triac. impulse would be lots of short impulses which would eventually trigger the triac.
- as the triac cannot distinguish between a long pulse and a set of shorter ones as long as the triggering conditions are met. If the shorter pulses can't trigger the device, then a train of them won't do, either. You would need a diode isolator and a capacitor to build enough energy to do the triggering.