Triac Switch

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am wanting to replace the relay on my board with a TRIAC to switch a 240 Volt 1 Amp solenoid valve.

Please can someone advise me of a suitable TRIAC. I will then post my circuit to confirm that its ok as its switching water and I want to make sure its 100% safe.

Many thanks

Rodney

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Wow, so little information! Can you supply a schematic or a photo? No one can help you with the info so far, except to advise you to be very careful. It sounds dangerous.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Couldn't you just pick up a cheap SSR off ebay etc, Opto22 etc.
Need to know the operating voltage of the relay coil?
A R/C snubber is recommended across a solenoid coil.

Max.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Sorry for the really sketchy information :)

The background of this project is the country I live in has no service delivery and severe power cuts. Therefore we store our water in large tanks which is then pumped into our homes. The ball valves in the water heaters and cisterns often restrict the flow of water so I am wanting to build a level control that when the water level drops the solenoid opens and the water flows through a 20 mm pipe into the vessel ( Cistern, water heater etc.) On my drawing the switch will be the liquid level monitor which I am still working on.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you have severe power cuts, how do you get the AC power? If you have a choice at this point of solenoid voltage, why not go with a low voltage DC solenoid coil, the only draw back is your DC current will increase, but if power failure is a problem you could even use the DC coil from a transformer and switch to battery in the event of power failure?
Also DC solenoids are the preferred choice, if designing a new system.
Less failure rate.
BTW in your diag. you have no common reference from the 12vdc to the TRIAC trigger?
This is why most are SCR opto-isolated, there are optos specifically for this.,
Max.

Last edited:

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
Heres an isolated driver....you may have to play with the values of the snubber components .....has it got to be a mains solenoid and not a low voltage solenoid ?

Attachments