Triac Based 220V-110V Converter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hazim, Nov 22, 2011.

1. hazim

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Hi.
    I have a 220V to 110V wall adapter that uses a small circuit with the main component, a triac. The triac is mounted to a big aluminum heat sink. As I know, these type on converters use face shifting to convert AC voltage, and they shouldn't be used except with resistive loads, such as heating appliances like coffee machine (the adapter I have is for coffee machine and it's written on it something around 50W and up to 1600W...)

I'm wondering if this type of converters work fine on a modified sine wave 220V inverter. I don't know much about thyristors theory.. What do you think?

Regards,
    Hazim

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Don't understand your question. What are you trying to do with the 220V inverter?

3. hazim

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 3, 2008
    I want to know if it's ok to use these triac converters plugged into 220V modified sine wave source.

4. chloride

May 25, 2011
    bka mag overload taas ng wattage

5. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    This may refer to a device similar to a TRIAC lamp dimmer, used to operate resistive 120V appliances from a higher voltage AC supply.

Frankly this sounds rather hazardous even when working from a standard 230V AC supply. The waveform is going to be ugly, and if anything goes wrong with the phase control there is liable to be a nasty accident.

I wouldn't really fancy running this sort of thing from an inverter, even if it is supposed to be "sinewave". How good the waveform would remain when loaded by this non-linear contraption would remain to be seen. Possibly the inverter would be also upset by this load, full of harmonic current and with a dodgy power factor.

I may of course be quite wrong, having never used such a thing, but it just doesn't sound like a good idea.

hazim likes this.
  6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Have you tried a step down transformer? If so and it gets warm quickly under a light load (due to core saturation), a Triac control wouldn't work, either (you'd get a square wave output from it, which resistive loads like heating elements can handle, but not much else).

hazim likes this.