Treadmill wont start belt and trips fuse on home fuse board

Gcdc

Joined Jul 22, 2016
I have a proform 600zlt treadmill at home and wondering if i can get some help.

Whilst using it at 12kph it suddenly stopped. It wouldn't power on again and it turned out it had blew the fuse on the main circuit board for the house. I reset it and the treadmill gets power and incline works but as soon as you press 'Start' it makes a noise for a split second like the belt is about to move but blows the home fuse again.

I checked the circuit board and the red led is on, no sign of anything blown on the board. I connected the motor to my cordless drill battery and the belt moved fine. I tried moving the belt manually but theres no flashing led on the circuit board just the solid red led.

Not sure if this pic helps

Any ideas?

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
First disconnect the power leads on the motor and see if the fuse remains intact when ran, if so it is most likely the power devices on the heat sink.
That would be the first I would check.
Max.

Gcdc

Joined Jul 22, 2016
Thanks for info Max. So disconnected the motor power leads from the board and this time when pressing 'Start' the timer on the console started but no fuse blew.

Im a novice when it comes to electronics. Does this mean the board is bad then? and is it something that could be repaired instead of replaced?

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Check the motor on a automotive battery for normal operation, if OK check power devices mounted to the large heat sink.
Check them for short circuit.
Max.

Last edited:

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Just an educated guess, but it looks like the device mounted on the left side of the heatsink has received a lot of heat (see the discolorization in the center of the device).

Gcdc

Joined Jul 22, 2016
Thanks for the replies. As said i really am a novice with electronics so without the right equipment and 'electronics for dummies' instructions i wouldnt have a clue.

If i purchase a new circuit board would you think it would get the treadmill back up and running?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for the replies. As said i really am a novice with electronics so without the right equipment and 'electronics for dummies' instructions i wouldnt have a clue.

If i purchase a new circuit board would you think it would get the treadmill back up and running?
At least do the simple motor test I mentioned first.
Max.

Gcdc

Joined Jul 22, 2016
Sorry missed your post max. Whats the reason to use a car battery and not cordless drill battery. Do you think it might still be the motor? Will see if i can get my hands on one.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You may get away with a cordless drill battery, but they do not quite have the capacity for 2hp/2.5hp brushed motor.
You want to do it on the bench or at least with the drive belt removed etc.
Max.

Gcdc

Joined Jul 22, 2016
So if i had the belt working with the cordless battery attached yesterday it cant really be trusted and its still possible the motor is bad?

Sorry for asking stupid questions ☺