Treadmill sparked then died ...got pictures!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by BPmax, Jun 25, 2009.

  1. BPmax

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jun 25, 2009
    3
    0
    My name is farrah (yes, like farrah fawcett rip) I really know nothing of electronics. I joined just to get some feedback from some of you nerdy brain manly men.

    Don't laugh but was using a leaf blower to clean my treadmill (the dusty motor area) I had it running... While blowing the motor area I saw a small spark *see picture and the belt stopped. It all still turns on but belt will not drive.
    I can't see any burn areas
    Did I kill it? could it just be a fuse (although I checked, by jumping past fuse)
    Any input would be lovely. hurry before I get fat! thanks boys.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. flat5

    Active Member

    Nov 13, 2008
    403
    17
    I wish everybody posted such clear pictures.

    "I had it running..."
    This means you had the treadmill operating?

    "It all still turns on but belt will not drive."
    Does this mean the motor still turns but the walking table does not move?
    Can you check to see if the belt is posisioned correctly?
    Did you blow it off it's pully?
    Where was the spark?
     
  3. KL7AJ

    AAC Fanatic!

    Nov 4, 2008
    2,039
    287
    Leaf blowers (and even vacuum cleaners) can generate a LOT of static electricity. I suspect you might have created a static charge that zapped some component....most likely nothing you can see.

    Looks like a pretty new model....is it under warranty? My wifeypoos treadmill has a lifetime warrantee...and they MEAN it.....

    eric
     
  4. BPmax

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jun 25, 2009
    3
    0
    If I turn it on, I get a red "on" indicator light on upper board and Control Panel still lights up.
    I do not think anything is wrong with belt or walking platform.
    All worked until the spark.
    Thanks so much!
    This shows where I saw the spark
    [​IMG]
     
  5. R!f@@

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 2, 2009
    8,740
    759
    Ok!!! It seams that u blown a fuse due to degraded insulation spark.
    Unplug the tread and check the wires for damaged insulation. I think power cord was plugged in when you try to clean it and the insulation may have worn out if the wire touches any rotating parts over time , and the air from blower may cause the wire to touch the bare metal and u got the spark.

    Rifaa
     
  6. flat5

    Active Member

    Nov 13, 2008
    403
    17
    Static or you may have blown something conductive around and it touched two things. If a new fuse does not help look for a pro or factory service.
     
  7. BPmax

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jun 25, 2009
    3
    0
    Can I "jump" the fuse area by connecting wires directly past the fuse?
     
  8. Wendy

    Moderator

    Mar 24, 2008
    20,764
    2,534
    If you are talking about bypassing your fuses, make sure you have a C02 type fire extingisher ready. There is a reason fuses blow.
     
  9. CDRIVE

    Senior Member

    Jul 1, 2008
    2,223
    99
    Absolutely NOT!! That's dangerous and can cause a fire hazard! Just replace the fuse with the correct value. Be certain that the device is unplugged when you do it.
     
Loading...