Treadmill sparked then died ...got pictures!

BPmax

Joined Jun 25, 2009
My name is farrah (yes, like farrah fawcett rip) I really know nothing of electronics. I joined just to get some feedback from some of you nerdy brain manly men.

Don't laugh but was using a leaf blower to clean my treadmill (the dusty motor area) I had it running... While blowing the motor area I saw a small spark *see picture and the belt stopped. It all still turns on but belt will not drive.
I can't see any burn areas
Did I kill it? could it just be a fuse (although I checked, by jumping past fuse)
Any input would be lovely. hurry before I get fat! thanks boys.

Attachments

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
I wish everybody posted such clear pictures.

"I had it running..."
This means you had the treadmill operating?

"It all still turns on but belt will not drive."
Does this mean the motor still turns but the walking table does not move?
Can you check to see if the belt is posisioned correctly?
Did you blow it off it's pully?
Where was the spark?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Leaf blowers (and even vacuum cleaners) can generate a LOT of static electricity. I suspect you might have created a static charge that zapped some component....most likely nothing you can see.

Looks like a pretty new model....is it under warranty? My wifeypoos treadmill has a lifetime warrantee...and they MEAN it.....

eric

BPmax

Joined Jun 25, 2009
If I turn it on, I get a red "on" indicator light on upper board and Control Panel still lights up.
I do not think anything is wrong with belt or walking platform.
All worked until the spark.
Thanks so much!
This shows where I saw the spark

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Ok!!! It seams that u blown a fuse due to degraded insulation spark.
Unplug the tread and check the wires for damaged insulation. I think power cord was plugged in when you try to clean it and the insulation may have worn out if the wire touches any rotating parts over time , and the air from blower may cause the wire to touch the bare metal and u got the spark.

Rifaa

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
Static or you may have blown something conductive around and it touched two things. If a new fuse does not help look for a pro or factory service.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you are talking about bypassing your fuses, make sure you have a C02 type fire extingisher ready. There is a reason fuses blow.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Can I "jump" the fuse area by connecting wires directly past the fuse?
Absolutely NOT!! That's dangerous and can cause a fire hazard! Just replace the fuse with the correct value. Be certain that the device is unplugged when you do it.