Treadmill Project

navino87

Joined Apr 21, 2012
Hello friends.. This is my first post here at this forum.. As a management graduate, I am not an expert or technical qualified person as many people in this community. But i have a great love towards electrical and electronics.. So, Please assist and guide me with this project.

I have an old heayduty motorized treadmill lying unused in my home. The problem is with the circuit board. It had newer lasted for more than a month. every time i have to spend more than $100 to get the circuit board fixed. And even if i get it fixed, It goes faulty very soon.

Now, i would like to come with an solution for this. Since I don't have any details of the circuit board, I thought what if i do a basic circuit board by myself with the help of experts here at this forum. I just want the treadmill to do some basic functions like running the DC motor, emergency cut-off switch and if possible get the inclination working. This are some functions that i have in mind.

Now please help me with this project. If any picture or details required, i will post in the coming sections..

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
NAvin

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
An ambitious project for a noob! But welcome, and let's see.

IMHO, the better strategy is to fix the flaw in the original circuit. If you can do that, you'll get back to full function for years on end. If you get lucky, such a fix won't be too hard. The worst case is you'll spend some time and end up skunked. Worth a try, though, because creating a DIY solution will be a LOT more work.

So to diagnose the original, you should post a schematic and any other details you can find. The pros here might spot something. You should examine the board yourself in great detail with a magnifying glass, looking for signs of heat, smoke, bulging components, or anything suspicious. Post a close-up of anything you find.

A treadmill motor draws a lot of juice, and I'd first be most suspicious of the power handling circuit, as opposed to the low power control circuits (which will be harder to diagnose and fix anyway). If you know what a power transistor or MOSFET looks like, look hard at those.

Good luck!

navino87

Joined Apr 21, 2012
Firstly, Thanks for your support.. Sorry that i couldn't come back to this community :(..

I have tried finding the schematic or any other details of the treadmill. I also tried closely looking at the circuits and components for signs of heat, smoke & bulging components. But I couldn't find any.. What should i do now?? can use this old board or should go ahead with designing a basic new board??