treadmill motor/board failure

ianskill

Joined Jul 5, 2012
hi,and thanks for having me on the forum. one of those motor/board questions again. i have had a quick search. mine is a horizon omega 3 hrc treadmill. i bought it faulty with suspected motor failure. have checked brushes up to now which are fine,no evidence of burning out smell. when starting up the tradmill at any speed on lcd display,i get 131v to the motor. its rated at 188v. any advice where i should check first? thanks

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
hi,and thanks for having me on the forum. one of those motor/board questions again. i have had a quick search. mine is a horizon omega 3 hrc treadmill. i bought it faulty with suspected motor failure. have checked brushes up to now which are fine,no evidence of burning out smell. when starting up the tradmill at any speed on lcd display,i get 131v to the motor. its rated at 188v. any advice where i should check first? thanks
With voltage at the motor terminals, does it turn?

Check the power stage of the control board, any blown components?

Post pictures of the board(s).

ianskill

Joined Jul 5, 2012
motor doesnt turn, gonna have another check on the board,voltage at the motor though,would have thought something would move.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
When you say you have voltage at the motor, where are you measuring? You should be measuring across the motor terminals (on the motor, not the board).
If you have 131V across the motor terminals and it's not turning then I suspect a problem with the motor itself. Check continuity through motor with the motor leads disconnected. Open circuit? Check brushes and brush holders making good contact. Very low resistance? magnets probably bad. Can you turn it by hand?

ianskill

Joined Jul 5, 2012
hi,the voltage was measured at the brushes/wires. i checked motor last night and runs off 12/24v,so presuming motor is fine. thanks

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
hi,the voltage was measured at the brushes/wires. i checked motor last night and runs off 12/24v,so presuming motor is fine. thanks
This does not check out in my book. If the motor has something in series with it limiting the current, then most of the voltage would be dropped across that other component and you would not read 130VDC across the motor. If the board were not putting out enough amps to turn the motor and the motor is fine, then the motor should be pulling the voltage down.

The only possibilities I can think of:
1. At the time you measured 130V across the motor, the brushes were in fact NOT ok, and the motor was an open circuit.
2. Rectifier on the board is bad and you didn't measure 130VDC across the motor, you measured 130VAC.

There must be another possibility but I wouldn't know what that is.

ianskill

Joined Jul 5, 2012
hi,i put motor back on treadmill and still gettitng nothing. the reading is 131v dc when programmed to run,at motor terminals, so confusing is this

ianskill

Joined Jul 5, 2012
no,nothing at all,this doesnt check out, i get power if i run 12/24v direct to the motor,and nothing when i connect terminals back to the board.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...the reading is 131v dc when programmed to run,at motor terminals...
When you say DC, do you mean that you get little or no AC voltage measured on your meter on an "AC" range, but 131V when your meter is set to "DC"? My cheap multimeter will pass a DC voltage on an "AC" setting.

And when you say the motor ran on 12/24V, was that DC or AC?

I see from a quick search that this is a 1.75HP (3.0 peak) DC motor controlled by PWM. Is it possible that your meter is acting as a peak detector on a very-low-duty-cycle PWM signal at 131V?

I believe you could connect a 60W lightbulb in place of the motor, and I predict it will not give full brightness.

Last edited:

ianskill

Joined Jul 5, 2012
sorry i have no oscilloscope. i am going to get the voltage checked again and post pictures up of motor and board,thanks

ianskill

Joined Jul 5, 2012
i believe this treadmill was a display machine before purchased by last owner.i thought when i first looked like it was dirt/grit in there obviously from the running belt. have cleaned a lot of it out from around componants

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
The motor turned with 24V so I still believe it is ok.

You need an oscilloscope to measure the voltage at the motor terminals. A multimeter will not show anything useful when working with PWM.

Did you look for burnt components on these PCBs?