treadmill motor/board failure

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Gerd Seegemann, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Gerd Seegemann

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Hi there, I hope "ianskill" is still around. I appear to have the same problem but unfortunately the thread does not end with a conclusion. Based on my general experience with electronics I would say there are usually some typical parts that fail first, and as my symptoms are similar I am very interested to hear what parts failed here with your treadmill or if you gave up fixing this treadmill.

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    He hasn't posted since Feb 2013, so don't hold your breath. I suggest you start a new thread if you want help with your board.

<Moderator ote: Good idea wayneh, moved to form a new thread>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
  3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Connect a 220VAC bulb to the motor terminals after disconnecting the motor.
    Run the tread and check if the bulb is lighting.
    Are you getting an error code ?

4. Gerd Seegemann

Jun 3, 2015
    Thanks for the quick response. I connected the bulb and it did not light up. There is no error code on the display however there are several LEDs on the board but I can not tell if any of those represent an error or normal operations.
    I took some pictures for your information. Unable to upload, so have to use google+. [​IMG]
    https://plus.google.com/+GerdSeegemann/posts/anEGKAuYxUi

What would you suggest to do next?

5. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    If the bulb does not light then you have a drive issue.

Can you post a better picture of the board.
    Need to see what the LEDs are labelled as and which lights and which does not.
    If you can't take a picture when the board is mounted, try to note down the LEDs labelled and note down the off ones and lit ones and post a pic after taking the board out

6. Gerd Seegemann

Jun 3, 2015
    I sure can, I took out the board now. There are two LEDs that do what is written next to them, they light up, when the treadmill goes up or down, the others do not change state ever (unless complete power disconnect). The two on the left are always on, the two next to the big capacitors do not light up. There is one more LED between the two sandwich boards but I have not seperated the boards yet. Here are the pictures:
    https://goo.gl/photos/Cyb7dbFZRXNCwZNi7
    You may notice that I already took a couple more pictures of what looks to me like resistors R9 and R13 that might cause trouble but please check the pics yourself and feel free to suggest some next logical steps.

7. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Can you mark them. A bit difficult to figure what you pointing and talking about

8. Gerd Seegemann

Jun 3, 2015
    I am talking about the 100 kΩ Resisitors R9 and R13, as seen in pictures: 20150613_115001.jpg and 20150613_114949.jpg [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The last pictures in this collection: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=TDktbkh4SE11QU9teGpkcG1odElyUDV2VXV2OWhR

I did measure the output of the board for the motor and found: 20 VDC and 43 VAC but the bulb did not ligth up or even glim, therefore I figure it is just a signal voltage and not the required main power for the motor.
    I also measured R13 and it did show 100k but R9 did not show 100k however there I need to scratch of some of the protective cover that was used and repeate my resistance measurement.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  9. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    You need to desolder the resistor to make accurate measurements. In circuit R checking is sometimes unreliable and residual capacitor voltage that are in the circuit will give wrong readings. You need to discharge the Big caps before handling the board.

10. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    And I have a bandwidth issues so, so many pictures is an issue for me.
    I need just one good picture of the whole board marked what leds light and what does not.
    I am sorry but I have limited bandwidth.

11. Gerd Seegemann

Jun 3, 2015
    Sorry about the bandwith need and there is now even one more picture - of the fixed board. Yes, it is working again :), I installed a new resistor in parallel over the old, obvious broken R9 resistor.
    https://goo.gl/photos/T9aNvJV4bUpF3vkt8
    [​IMG]
    Thank you very much for your help.

12. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Glad you were able to get it to work without much hassle.:)