Treadmill MC-60 pin question

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Loveoption9, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Loveoption9

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Hi,
    I am converting a treadmill motor and 220v PWM to power my ancient Herbert lathe. this is a 4hp 190v monster and I can't find information on the exact point to connect the 5K resistor to on the board. I can see the pwm pin on the plug, but which gets the wiper and what do the other ends of the pot go to. It was connected to a board, and I am not sure if I need to use or disable the tach sensor or other mods.
    enclosed is a photo of the various plugs on the board, and the ancient beauty that's getting a variable speed motor! Appreciate the help.
    Tom

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I believe you mean you want substitute a lathe motor for the treadmill motor?
    What 5k resistor? Are you following someone else's plans? That motor is a lot more than a treadmill motor and I'd be surprised you could drive it with a treadmill board. Doesn't mean you can't, just that I'd be surprised.

3. Loveoption9

Jun 21, 2012
    No, I think it's the other way around. The lathe now has a single speed 3hp 3phase motor that would not work where i am(no 3ph service). Thus I have the salvaged motor and control from an industrial Proform 220v treadmill that will be perfect for the lathe, giving me a variable speed like a Monarch 10EE. There are threads here on how to convert the PWM boards from control by a key panel to a simple set of switches and 5k pot. They are for the 110v versions, which are slightly different. I just need the exact positions on the board and the values of any connections, I just don't want to fry anything because I don't get it right.

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Ah, thanks, that's much more clear now what you're trying to do - replace a lathe's motor and controller with a repurposed motor and controller from a treadmill.

Hopefully someone that knows will come along and help.

5. Loveoption9

Jun 21, 2012
    Got it figured out. I was looking at the wrong board, once I eliminated the second board, it all got real simple. The install has gone great, thanks to all the prior posts.