Treadmill burned resistor color code?

EdgeHawk

Joined Apr 13, 2011
Hi, a burned out resistor is completely burned black and can no longer be identified. I noticed a similar board on this forum. Yet the photo wasn't detailed enough to read the color code. Can anyone help?
This is a motor control board of a STAR TRAC Treadmill Pro
MEB4U-2d CUST P/N 715-3398

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Sweet Jesus!!!
That board is same as mine. Well. Almost.

Gimme a closeup of tht area, I can tell that value of R

Last edited:

EdgeHawk

Joined Apr 13, 2011
Hijacking? Oops! my mistake i guess. Thanx bertus

Yes R!f@@, i noticed someone had the same board. Am not sure "Sweet Jesus" is involved in this. haha. I hope you can help me. It is my daughters treadmill. She bought it second hand. She is disabled and uses it every day for her walking exercise. Here comes a more detailed photo. R2 that's the one am looking for.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If that board mounts with the components down, then it looks like the resistor got hot enough to melt the solder and fall out.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Disabled daughter? (sorry to hear this).....by God... let's get that thing fixed.

Tell me all the details of the tread...right from the start.

If you are game enuf, we can fix it.

EdgeHawk

Joined Apr 13, 2011
If you are game enuf,
Long time since i heard that quote. David Sylvian. rite? I hope "we'll not go down fighting" hahah

So you want details. simple..we have a male dog....Do i need to say more? Fine cute clean animal. But still an animal and accidents happen. He peed on the treadmill. Straight trough the cooling holes onto the the pcb. While cleaning i didn't notice he actually hit the pcb. I put on the treadmill and the display flickered. I removed the plastic cover and put the tread back on. I saw this resistor burning right in front of my eyes. I disassemble the board and saw/smelled the pee. I cleaned everything with a can of electric cleaning spray. Visually nothing else on the board seems to be damaged. I hope it's just this little resistor that couldn't stand the smell and died :) Am far from an expert on electronics. Am just a diy who tries to save himself some money.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
hee hee hee ..pets have the tendency to pee right thru the holes..
we have something in common. Seen this?

From what you have I see more than one component failure. As resistors just don't go Pooooooooof!! there will be some other culprit involved.

I like you to take out the heat sink and show me both sides of that complete corner.
If you can post a high res of the full board both sides so I can zoom in and tell u where to look.

I have to see the track layout.

Give me a direct perpendicular look of the board OK.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I cleaned everything with a can of electric cleaning spray. Visually nothing else on the board seems to be damaged. I hope it's just this little resistor that couldn't stand the smell and died :) Am far from an expert on electronics. Am just a diy who tries to save himself some money.
Electronic cleaners cover a wide spectrum of solvent strengths from fluorocarbons that are very non-polar and are poor solvents for polar materials to alcohols that are much more polar and stronger for ionic and polar materials. If the problem was a short from wet pee, you may be OK just letting it dry, as you did. However, the salts and urea (i.e., polar compounds) in the pee may remain to cause problems down the road.

While the board is out and disconnected, you may want to consider washing it with water. If your electronic cleaner is alcohol, that will help dry it. If not, rinsing with regular 91% isopropyl alcohol will speed drying. Water may seem bad, but I have read that some electronics companies in the past actually used dishwashers to clean old boards.

John

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Sorry buddy. Your pics a of low res.
When I zoom in, it pixelates. Which is bad for me.

I like the pic straight from ur cam like 4mb file size.
Don't edit it, don't write anything on it. I know where the fault lies.

The previous photo position is perfect, do the same.
Gimme both sides. I like large files. Do not post them. Just upload it and post the link. I will be here for a round an hour so. So if u up em by then, I will have some work for ya.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Can u zip it and attach it here
or turn on ur PM. I will PM u my email. U can attach it to my hotmail or just see my profile and check my email

Hotmail supports 10Meg files. U can re size the pix to around 3 or 4 meg. This is enuf for a close up

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here's what I could see/assume. It appears the resistor (R2) goes between a diode (D3) and V+. I assume that is a protective circuit for an inductive kick somewhere or it's a zener diode. Between the positive bus and the diode pad (pad A) is a ground/negative /common ("ground") bus. That bus/plane also surrounds the pad where the diode and resistor are connected together. It looks like there is a short between pad A and the ground bus/plane. Maybe that was from desoldering, but the black smut may indicate that is where the short was that caused the resistor to burn.

The diode doesn't look over-heated, which implies to me that the high current through the resistor did not also go through the diode, depending on the value of the resistor. Can you read the value or part number for the diode?

Maybe R!f@@ can tell us the value and wattage of that resistor, which should shed light on whether that diode could handle the current needed to burn the resistor.

John

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Yup John ..I know the value and wattage.

One problem. Why did it ashed.

I got the bottom part. Now I need the top. Please send it to my mail.
I really like to have clear pic. As I am studying the board.

I know I can get u fix it but before that there are some things I have to be sure about as you will be dealing with high voltage..

So, please mail me a good quality top side.