Treadmill blowing fuse.

Sam I Am

Joined Nov 13, 2013
Hi all,
Im a bit of a do it yourselfer but have very little experience with electronics, and the more I googled the more answers from your forum I saw, so hopefully you can help me out!

I have recently picked up a second hand treadmill with an issue (York Challenger 516i, or I believe Healthstream sell the same unit under a different badge). On powering it up the display works correctly, then when trying to start the belt it blows the fuse. The motor doesn't appear to move at all.

If I unplug the motor from the control board it will not blow the fuse, and will give around 330V at the terminals.

If I connect the motor to a car battery it works.

I cant see any components that are obviously visibly faulty.

The photo is only a general overview, I can easily grab more photos of anything in particular.

Any pointers or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers all.:)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am guessing a power Mosfet or IGBT is shorted placing full power on the motor leads.
They are under the screwed clamp in the bottom right.
Max.

Sam I Am

Joined Nov 13, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply Max!

I'll have a look at them after work and see if they're something I can test at home, or try to order replacements.

Sam I Am

Joined Nov 13, 2013
Is that to verify that the output goes straight to full power? (Im Australian and we have 240V mains, so Im guessing 1 lamp would do the job?)
Thanks again Max, like I said Im far from proficient in electronics!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is that to verify that the output goes straight to full power? (Im Australian and we have 240V mains, so Im guessing 1 lamp would do the job?)
Thanks again Max, like I said Im far from proficient in electronics!
That explains the 330vdc, this would be the full voltage from a DC supply for you.
I would still use 2 lamps, It is either shorted IGBT's or what ever controls the speed is sending a full on signal and the motor would present a virtual dead short without accel.
Max.

Sam I Am

Joined Nov 13, 2013
Just checking back in to this thread with my results incase anyone searches for it.

I ended up with another treadmill which was functioning properly, but had less features than the non-functioning one. I had a look and the control board was similar, so I swapped it over. It worked briefly, then the fuse blew... Dammit, then I had 2 broken treadmills!

Anyways I ordered the parts suggested above and soldered them in today. I now have the second treadmill functioning normally, and the one that was initially faulty has different part numbers so I will need to order different parts to solder into it.

It appears to have had the board under the belt replaced with one which is too thick, which could potentially give too much drag, or there could be some other problem causing these control boards to fail. Not sure yet, but i'll replace the IGBT's/power mosfet (I still don't know whats called what) the remove the drive belt and see if it holds together.

Thanks for your help MaxHeadRoom, you were spot on and have saved me replacing the entire board, only to fry it straight away. That would have pissed me off!

Cheers.