travel charger

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Lightfire, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Lightfire

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    I purchased portable gadget which called mp3? I'm not so familiar.

I saw in the charger

input: 100-240AC 50/60Hz (anyway. what does Hz means???)
    output: 5v 1 a (v=volts/a=amperes, right?)

so, input is for AC and our OUTPUT is for DC, right?

I get my 12 v battery and try to put the charger there and it works, the signal light is turning on and when i try to connect the charger on my mp3, the mp3 is charging but a little moment, my mp3 was turned off. and the signal light turned off too. when i try to do it again, it works and turned off. same as same... always the same...

so is there any problem??? i don't know how many amperes is my battery is just not recharged properly???:)

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You didn't mention your location. The USA uses 60Hz (AKA, cycles per second), Europe and India uses 50Hz.

You can not connect an AC charger to a DC device.

If you feed 12VDC into a 5VDC you will likely blow up the MP3 player. It is possible to build a 5V regulator with a minimum of parts however.

What part of the world do you reside? You will note most of the old hands show there in their profile, this allows us to tell you what parts are locally available to you.

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Yes, using an AC adaptor on a DC source is a problem. An inexpensive solution is to get the proper adaptor - they can be very cheap, less than $5 USD. They will plug into the cigarette lighter (12V source) and output regulated 5V to a USB port. Does your mp3 player have a cable to connect to a USB port? The cables are very cheap also, but you need to be sure of what your player needs.

4. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    I'm here in the Philippines.

But the charger works and the mp3 works also but the problem is the mp3 is going off after a few moments and the charger will off too.

what does it mean? what proper adaptor? AC to DC

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    AC - Alternating Current = Wall outlet
    DC - Direct Current = Battery or Wall Wart (power supply on Wall outlet)

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    My speculation: It means the charger is able to protect itself from improper use, in your case connecting it to 12V DC instead of the higher voltage, alternating current it was designed for and clearly labeled for. The charger protects itself by shutting down, and this shuts down your player.

You're lucky that the designer allowed for this. It could have just gone "poof" and made a funny smelling smoke. It still might. Does everything work if you plug it into a wall outlet as intended?

Another solution, in addition to getting a proper (and cheap) DC-DC adaptor is to use an "inverter". This ~$25 device can provide alternating current at typical home voltage from a car battery, allowing you to use your existing adaptor. It's more expensive but handy for other things, such as laptops.

7. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    let me clear it.

What does 'input' means, and what does 'output' means?

I thought if it is input, it can put in wall outlet. If it is output, it can be put by a battery.

Anyway, what does 'input' and 'output' means?

8. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Input goes INTO the device.

Output comes OUT of a device.

If you plug an adapter into a wall, the WALL is OUTPUTTING Alternating Current (AC) at 240v

So the adapter receives an INPUT (from the wall) of 240v

The adapter then converts the 240vAC into 5v Direct Current (DC)

Now, the adapters OUTPUT is 5v DC.

The Mp3 player requires a power INPUT also, but you must find out what voltage and current type the mp3 player requires.

There is typically voltage information on the bottom of the mp3 player, or right near the plug hole.

9. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    OK. OK. Now I know. :)

Thanks ;)