Transportation ?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Grand Central, as well as Penn Station in NYC are easily connected to the subway system.

I travelled from South Ferry, where the Staten Island Ferry docks on Manhatan, to Penn Station via subway, then from Penn Station to Wilmington Delaware (my hometown) via Amtrack. Spent the whole four hour trip in the "bar car".

I've travelled by taxi in NYC numerous times .... some after imbibbing a little too much ... and managed to get straight to my destination with no problem. I'm not saying some haven't been weighlayed, I'm just saying I wasn't. I lived on Coney Island, Long Island, Staten Island, and Governors Island during various assignments in the NYC area.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
No it wasn't during a crackdown. It was the 1977-1979 when I lived in Catanzaro Lido Italy while assigned to the U.S. Coast Guard Loran Station Simeri Crichi Italy.
Wow that is tough duty. :rolleyes:

And a little far from our coast! :eek:

Ex coworkers of mine were stationed in the Philippines. They would brag about how many girlfriends they had. Then they got transferred to Turkey. Well you get the picture.... :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
public transport in the philippines is, well, unique. most of the inner city stuff is done by these privately owned willys jeep abortions, and some busses. busses go between cities. when taking the jeeps across town, you have to know what you're doing. almost have to know exactly which specific jeep you need to be on.
The Caribbean isn't much better. Many islands have a bus which is really just a van and sometimes just a large SUV. If you are standing at the stop and they are full, they will pass you by. It is nearly impossible to catch a bus.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I went to Texas,not a small town.....I ask for a cab...they said no cabs. (no cabs)

The attendant call me guy I could trust to drive me,I turned out using him for a guide. When

wanted to somewhere day or nite he would be there. From the town,the motel was

out on the main hyway far away from the down town. ( got the strange dashs under some

of my word,I have a virus on the computer)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
And a little far from our coast!
Don't let the name fool you. We had billets in alot of places ... Do you remember 1986 ... when Quadafi sent a missle in an attempt to bomb the USCG Loran Station Lampedusa Italy. Lampedusa is an island closer to Africa and it was the location choosen when the U.S. moved the statation from Matratin Libyia in 1970 ...

Loran, both A and C were assigned to the USCG by the JCS to provide navigation services to support operations. Loran, which eventually became Loran A, was a WWII project supported by the USN and the liason for that program was a USCG Officer, as the USCG was transferred to the USN during WWII when directed by the president. The USN/DOD kept funding it, and the USCG kept putting units where they were needed. When GPS was declared operational in the 1990s, the need reduced and Loran was defunded in 2010 as it was dropped from the National RadioNavigation Plan. The overseas mission was dropped in the early 1990s when GPS was declared fully operational.

If your interested in reading about more visit http://www.loran-history.info

There are scanned copies of documents for researchers and the ebook version of the 1948 MIT Radiation Laboratory Volume titled Loran.

You might consider this a little tougher duty ... 52 49 44.134 N 173 10 49.528 E ... I've been there twice.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The Caribbean isn't much better. Many islands have a bus which is really just a van and sometimes just a large SUV. If you are standing at the stop and they are full, they will pass you by. It is nearly impossible to catch a bus.
You usually always have the motorcycle taxis which are good and these guys know where to have a good time. Also in the carribean its better to just rent a couple scooters or low power bikes to play with just make sure you know your tourist zones. And depending on the country you may need minor bribe money. Like inthejungle in Costa the cops will harrass you and screw you over and basically just hold you on the side of the road till you give em $50 or $100.