Transportation ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mathematics!, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Question 1)
    I am wonder normally how far a taxi services will travel.

For example if you are in New York and take a Yellow cab or other standard taxi services normally how far will they travel. Are they allow to transport people out of the state , city , town ...? ( what is the normal extent of distance before they say forget it )

Question 2)
    In New York ,Boston , or Chicago ,...etc what is the distance that the subway can transport you from and to?

For example can a New York or Boston subway ever transport out of a state. Or is it restricted to a location with in a state.

What I am getting at is normally what the extent of a subway system is in the US in distance/area it can transport/cover?

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    In NYC you can/must negotiate to go a long distance in a taxi, and I believe the driver is legally allowed to refuse extra long trips. It will not be cheap, better to find a car service such as an airport limo to take you.

The subways are all within the city itself, excepting the PATH trains that travel from the world trade center area to New Jersey. That line does have a connection to the rest of the city. There are trains to the island and conneticut.

3. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    What meaning are you giving for long distances for the taxi's in-state or out of state or in-town or something different ?
    Basically what would be the longest distance a cab driver would say yes to if you where in New York , Chicago , Boston ,...etc (to put it in perspective )

Does this hold for all US states i.e the subway not the PATH trains
    will only beable to transport in city itself. Or are you just talking about New York ?

4. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    I guess this sort of answers my question

AtlantaMARTA1979387748BaltimoreMetro Subway19831424.515.2BostonMBTA[note 19][53][54]1897516138ChicagoChicago 'L'1897[note 20][55]145173107ClevelandRTA Rapid Transit (Red Line)1955183119Los AngelesLos Angeles County Metro Rail[note 21][56]19931628.017.4MiamiMetrorail19842340.124.9New York CityNew York City Subway[note 22][57][58][59]1904421337209New York CityStaten Island Railway1925[note 23]2222.514.0New York City/New JerseyPATH1908[60]1322.213.8PhiladelphiaSEPTA[note 24]19075338.523.9Philadelphia/New JerseyPATCO Speedline19361322.914.2San Francisco Bay AreaBART[61]197244167104San JuanTren Urbano20041617.210.7Washington, D.C.Washington Metro197686171106

But don't know how accurate currently it is.
    And don't know about the distances for most cab drivers ( guess that would be based on personal belief or preferences but there must be a on average )
    :(

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    You would have to be insane or really rich to take any taxi much further than the city limits. A trip to the airport form Pittsburgh will cost $50 and that is only 12 miles.

How can you live in Massachusetts and not know about basic public transportation options?

I assume Ma United States is Massachusetts.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    maxpower097 likes this.
  6. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Its usually $1.50-$2.00 a mile for standard cabs. But careful in FL we have no subways, horrible city planners and an even worse busses. If you come here just rent a car.

7. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    One last thing is how does the subway and public transportation stack up in the other parts of the world.
    Just a brief break down of all the contients / countries in the world
    public transportation

in terms of taxi's , subways, planes ,...etc
    i.e any means of public transportation in other countries

Not only that but the customer services as well how does it stack up ?

8. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I 'm not sure what you are searching for. Your questions are very general.

In Athens we 've got a bit of everything: Subway, buses, trolleybuses, tram, airport, port. All of them are interconnected at some points.

9. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Athens
    how does that stack up from the US and other countries public transportation ?

I am assuming US has the most secure and best in general public transportation in the world but I could be wrong ?

10. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Athens is one city. The US is a huge country with thousands of cities and towns. What you are asking is an impossible comparison.

But in general public transit is far better in western Europe than it is in the US. That is assuming the euro transit workers don't decide to go on strike with no warning. :) Which is a big problem in a number of euro countries. They will strike over the silliest reasons, shut down for an hour or two then go back to work. Happens a lot i Italy.

I am still curious how you can know nothing about US public transit. You are from the US right??

11. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Yes , And I know the general jist of it.

But I usually uses my vehicle so don't have to rely on public transportation usually in the US.
    what I was looking for is a comparision between the other worlds transportation to the US's transportation.

In terms of
    security , customer service , and comfortablity.

12. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I can remember seeing armed Carbinari Police Officers in Rome with fingers on the trigger in the late 70s when I walked through the metal detector and the italian gettoni's in my pocket set off the alarm.

I've also seen them on the roadside doing stops ... with weapons at the ready.

I enjoyed the ride from Catanzaro to Naples on the train.

You could buy what was called an EUROPASS and ride all over Europe for 30 days ....

13. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Go out and catch a few buses and get the experience,belief me you have to learn

how to ride a bus. Its not as simple of having $5.00 bucks in your pocket,there

are a lot rules. Its hard just to make change. Its an education.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  14. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Those guys are freaking nuts but if you are really in trouble they are great to have on your side. Far better than the police.

I've seen them pull a number of crazy stunts but the one that sticks with me was an emergency U turn (in their vehicle) on a crowded street in Genoa. They swerved at a high rate of speed through a large group of people crossing the street. How they avoided hitting someone was a miracle.

Regarding trains in Italy, make sure you stamp your ticket on one of the yellow boxes before getting on the train!

15. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Reverse phy....Transporation......Take a free hike.

This is in jest...............Happy Holidays and free

transportation with Santa's and Rudolph.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  16. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Was this durring the big mob crackdown?

17. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    La Causa Nostra.

18. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    The last transportion.......you will ever take... one way....

19. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I can't remember the details because I was inebriated, but I think I took a train from CT to grand central station in NY. I believe from there, not only could you catch another train, you could also catch subways. So effectively all of Manhattan is connected to the rest of the nation via public transit. I did not take any taxis there. I do not like taxis. I feel like they know you're a drunk tourist and have no idea where you are, and they are going to take you around the city 5 times before dropping you off at your destination which was only 5 blocks away to begin with. So I just studied the maps and took subways to the nearest location I wanted to be, and then walked. I rode subways for quite a few hours in a drunken stupor before I sobered up enough to have any concept of where I was.

20. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    No it wasn't during a crackdown. It was the 1977-1979 when I lived in Catanzaro Lido Italy while assigned to the U.S. Coast Guard Loran Station Simeri Crichi Italy.

Aldo Moro, was kidnapped during that time and the Carbinari searched my toolbox ... once ... don't know what they were looking for, but they were stopping alot of vehicles looking for the kidnapped victum.

I don't recall any crackdowns in my part of the country, but then, I never paid attention to the news overthere nor read any of the newspapers.