transparent LCD screen for prototype board/PC

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Denis Tran, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Denis Tran

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Hi all,

I am in search of a small cost effective transparent LCD screen for a prototype board or for connecting straight to my PC (preferable).

I see that transparent screens are more popular in the Transparent OLED technology, however, those work more in the additive light model while I'm looking more for a light subtractive device, meaning that I don't want to light up a transparent pixel, but rather turn that transparent pixel less transparent, or to the limit opaque.

From what I read, this is how LCD screens function. You apply current to a pixel, and that pixel turns opaque. However, everything I find out there is an actual screen. I'm looking for a transparent version.

There seems to be a few solutions our there:
    - take apart a monitor and use the screen--> does this actually work? anybody tried? any instructions on how to do this?
    - part available online? I have not found anything on DigiKey or Mouser, any other sources?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all
  2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  3. Denis Tran

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Thanks for the reply.

By small, I mean something in the 2 x 3" range, more about lower cost than actual size however.

Cost would be something affordable for prototyping and proof of concept, <50$ would be the target.

The difference with these TOLED is that those are by default transparent and then you would make pixels shine brighter. What I am looking for is for the pixel to turn opaque, so it'd be more of the old LCD technology