Transmitting and receiving composite video

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by stoopkid, Aug 26, 2012.

1. stoopkid

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I've tried searching but I can't quite get an answer for this, mainly just products.

I was wondering how complex it would be to transmit and receive composite video and what kind of circuit could do it? Sound would just be a luxury. Would that be a pretty big deal or could it be put together on a breadboard? What kind of range would be possible? I'm just looking for general info but I would eventually like to be able to transmit across or within a house.

Thanks

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Are you talking about NTSC/PAL analog standard def video?

3. stoopkid

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Yes it is NTSC.

4. vk6zgo

Jul 21, 2012
    If you want to transmit it on VHF or UHF,& receive it with a normal TV,it gets messy quick when you start working with the RF circuitry.
    Definitely not a breadboard job!
    You are unlikely to be able to recreate the VSB signal used in Broadcasting,but you can get away with full carrier DSB.
    Of course,you then have to amplify a signal around 10MHz wide!

Where you are most likely to run into problems is with linearity of modulation,as that is where a fair bit of the complexity of TV transmission comes in.
    You can buy ready made "flea power" TV re-transmitters where all this is already done for you,& I would recommend these.

Another alternative,if you have a spare computer,is to buy a device which you can feed composite video into,which then converts it to USB or Firewire.

You can then use WIFI to network with this dedicated computer,& watch from another room with your laptop.

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    You could use one of these.

6. dataman19

Dec 26, 2009
    Ahhhhh,,,
    Ye old Rabitt comes to mind...
    Not the furry little critter, ...... the Audio/Video transceiver set that was so popular way back in the day......

ErnieM likes this.
  7. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I had me some Rabbits. Wonderful little devices, had em all over my apartment as I also had TV's all over too. Could mute the audio on them all with one touch of the remote from any room when the phone rang.

8. MrHam

Jul 20, 2012
  9. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008