Transmitter Laws

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KCHARROIS, Jul 29, 2012.

1. KCHARROIS

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Has anybody ever had issues with the fcc coming to your door? I have a transmitter that works at 5 MHz at about 10 mW with a simple wire antenna. Should i be worried about the fcc? ps i live in canada.

Thanks

2. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Isn't the CRTC more likely to knock on your door than the FCC?

3. KCHARROIS

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Sure crtc aswell but I live near the american border​

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    No, you are in Canadian jurisdiction. The FCC could contact the Canadian equivalent and turn you in. I am not familiar with Canadian laws, but 10mw is allowed in the USA, as long as the antenna is not a problem. You can boost the apparent power by using a tuned antenna, so there are legal requirements there too.

5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
  6. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Actually, yes, I had somebody show up at my door when I was a teenager. He had tracked us down on the citizens band acting like we were ham radio operators. He gave us a warning and went away. One of the most memorable experiences of those years.

The problem was that we were a nuisance to commercial interests in the area. I suspect that with 10 mW, you wont be a problem. My philosophy over the years has been that if I keep a low enough field strength, nobody will even know that I am transmitting, let alone transmitting on a frequency at which I am not authorized.

Take note that until a few years, no transmitter at all were allowed on the FM band in England, though there were many micropower transmitters for local distribution, but there were no (as far as I know) problems. And not low power transmitters are allowed.