transmit a picture serially

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by JJoll, Jan 22, 2014.

1. JJoll

Thread Starter Member

May 7, 2013
    hello everyone,
    I am trying to transmit a picture (.epd file) serially from my PC's usb port to the microcontroller (uC's SPI).
    I am using FTDI Basic Breakout to convert USB to serial port and then connect RX, and TX to the microcontroller. however I am not sure if I need any other USB 2 Serial converter in the middle, also I am not sure how to set up hyperterminal to transmit a picture from the USB port. is that even possible to transmit a picture file using hyper terminal?
    I have been told to use following settings: Baud rate 9600, stop bits : 1, No Parity
    PC ---> USB2 Serial (FTDI breakout???) --> USART port ----> SPI ---> ...
    thanks

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Your USB to serial cable interfaces directly to UART. Don't use SPI.
    I would choose the highest baud your UART can handle.
    Yes, you can use Hyperterminal.

JJoll likes this.
  3. JJoll

Thread Starter Member

May 7, 2013
    thanks,
    1- but do you know how to set up the hyperterminal?
    2- do i have to install a USB 2 Serial driver?
    3- do i have to add a usb to communication port on Device Manager->ports ?
    4- how should I feed a picture to it?
    I have used hyperterminal in the past to just receive data from microcontrollers but never to transmit info to microcontorllers, that is why I am confused.
    thanks again

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Follow instructions that came with your FTDI cable.

When you insert the USB connector to your PC dialogs should appear as the device is being recognized. Go to the Hardware Device Manager and see that the USB COM port was recognized. Note which COM port it has been assigned.

Open HyperTerminal and setup Properties. Connect using: COM x
    Configure... to set baud, etc.
    Flow control : None

To send file, select Transfer

JJoll likes this.
  5. JJoll

Thread Starter Member

May 7, 2013
    Hello again chip,
    I did that, how eve I cannot transmit anything, hyperterminal opens up a window and nothing happening. I am sure I am connected to the right port( FTDI PORT11), and all the connections are right. I have attached the picture of screen that i am getting.
    However one weird thing that is happening is: when I connect to PORT3 (which is not the right port) I am atleast getting something, it says" illegal message format".
    Do you know what is wring here? is it from microcontroller side or from PC(hyperterminal) side?