transmission of signals

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Shikhar, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Shikhar

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Hi everyone there...
    As a part of my project, i have to transmit the electrical signals generated from photodiodes through a distance of 500metres. Can you please guide me..what all parameters i should emphasize on while designing the circuitry for the same!!!
    Its urgent..plzz reply fast!!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    Not a very clear question, plzz fix it up fast!!!

use wire?
    logic signals?
    500mts and a mts is what?

3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    According to my international dictionary of abbreviations, that would be 500 standard mountains. I suppose being a Michigan Man, that MTS could refer to Michigan Terminal System, but seems highly unlikely.

4. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    A photodiode does not transmit. It receives light or IR.
    500mts is 500 mountains or 500 tiny trains. 500 feet (500') or 500 metres (500m) is a distance.

5. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Will she be driving six white horses when she comes around one of those mountains?

6. kdillinger

Jul 26, 2009

Bah. You need a transimpedance amplifier. Remembering some concerns be wary of the diode capacitance and dark current; which IIRC is the current 'leakage' when there is no light.
    How to transmit 500 meters (I presume) someone else will need to take over. I would suggest a simple twisted pair, but that may get you into trouble depending on the environment. You can always do it digitally using a cheap micro-controller like a PIC.

7. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Is it the horses or the mountain that turns her on??

I cannot remember the details about the six white horses (Cinderella?) but it reminded me of:
    "On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
    Twelve drummers drumming
    eleven pipers piping
    ten lords a' leaping
    nine ladies dancing
    eight maids a' milking
    seven swans a' swimming
    six geese a' laying
    five gold rings
    (pause)

four colly- birds
    three French hens
    two turtle doves
    and a partridge in a pear tree (tra-la-la):D

8. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
  9. Shikhar

Dec 21, 2009
    sorry everyone there...i meant 500m (not mountains nd all other things that u all were thinking:))

and the data has to be transmitted through wires...

10. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    OK, I guess we got carried away with our jocularity. As has already been pointed out photodiodes are receivers -- not transmitters. To go 500 m you are going to have to find some optical glass or plastic fiber that will give a known amount of loss per meter. Then you will have to find an optical source that will deliver sufficient optical power to the fiber. Than an only then will you be able to evaluate the suitability of receivers, like photodiodes or others, to pick up whatever energy is left after traveling 500 meters. I'm no expert on fiber, but I think you have your work cut out for you.

11. Shikhar

Dec 21, 2009
    thanx a lot...:)

12. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    Amplify the photocell output, then use a voltage-controlled current source.

At the other end of the cable, use a load resistor and measure the voltage across it with a differential amp; this will be proportional to the current and therefore the original photocell signal.

13. lmartinez

Mar 8, 2009
    Hey, we can utilize lake Michigan as a perfect optical channel for the signal to travel its way through it. A perfect means of transportation... The efficiency will be 99.99999999 +/- .000000009. Michigan ;) is the best state in the world with beautiful mountains..............

14. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    More like gently rolling hillocks. You are almost right about the clarity of the lakes; not perfect but constantly improving. By the end of the century who knows?:D:)