Transmission gate

baseball07

Joined Apr 24, 2007
Hello I am looking to breadboard a few simple transmission gates and I was wondering what would be good to use for the n and p mos transistors. Such as which part numbers are most commonly used. I have access to a lab with a variety of different components. Thank you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
A transmission gate is an IC kinda thing. Nobody in their right mind would build one from discrete components because there is no need. It would be like building an opamp from discrete transistors. Yes, I know the original opamps were built from vacuum tubes and discrete components.

In addition your choices for matched complementary n-mos and p-mos FETs are extremely limited precisely because nobody uses them that way anymore,

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I should have said that it was a CMOS IC thing. Another part you may find interesting is the CD4007. It is a dual complementary pair plus an inverter. This one confused me for a minute. See if you can spot the interter.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Yes. That device has been discontinued. The 4066 is the replacement. If you want to make anything beyond experimental usage, get hold of the 4066.

baseball07

Joined Apr 24, 2007
Ok great. My last question. Do they make these CMOS ICs that just have pmos transistors in them? I am bread boarding this Cadence circuit and I need about 5 pmos transistors and one nmos to make a timer.