Translation to Chinese?

MichealY

Joined Apr 9, 2009
Hi,
I'm an EECS major university student from China,and I have experiences on translating English to Chinese.I think I could do it well,although I am not fluent to write or say with English.
So could I have this honor?

Thanks.
MichealY.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Greetings, Michael:
This sounds like an exciting, ambitious project. You will need to talk to the E-book development director about this, but I think he'd be highly in favor of it.

Eric

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
then please let me know who is the director of e-book development.

Thanks.
MichealY

I believe that would be Bill Marsden. I think you'll have to join the E-book development team to access the E-book thread. I'll give Bill a heads up.

Zai Jian!

Eric

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello Eric and Bill,

I do not know the relation between the E-book Developer and the E-book Co-ordinator.
I would ask the E-book Co-ordinator Dcrunkilton about the translation stuff.

Greetings,
Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Looks around quickly, ready to run.

Naw, I'm just one of the first of the current crop of writers. Dave and Dennis Crunkilton are the main forces around here, the editing staff, if you will.

I help where I can, I love the concept. I wonder how good translating software is nowdays. I suspect it will take a staff to do the translating, much like the staff of writers we have.

MichealY

Joined Apr 9, 2009
I wonder how good translating software is nowdays. I suspect it will take a staff to do the translating, much like the staff of writers we have.
Exactly.I almost don't use translating software.Their helps only when you need to look up new vocabulary.

Actually,I think it does not need a staff to do the transalting.I have did something before,like translating manuals of software,book on computer security.Since typesetting is already done,we translators only need to concentrate on the translation itself,which is my favor.I have the confidence in myself :)

Actually,what matters most is the time.Because of the long length of the books,we could image that it will be a large project so that we'll need a lot of time to finish it.On the other hand,as a newber,I'll need to study hard to enrich my knowledge and then could produce work of good quality.

MichealY.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Don't forget, it is a work in progress, unfinished. That and the core concept of open source, willing to change from public input.

As open source, or copy left, you don't actually need permission, if I understand the concept correctly. So as a suggestion have a master copy, then set something up to flag changes in the original version, so that you can follow up on the chinese. As I understand languages (and I am no expert) it is possble many or most of the changes will be of no concequence, since we are talking typographical errors. The remaining changes, the ones with meat to them, will need to be moved over to the chinese version.

MichealY

Joined Apr 9, 2009
As open source, or copy left, you don't actually need permission, if I understand the concept correctly.
4. Modification

Permission is granted to modify or sample from a copy of the Work, producing a derivative work, and to distribute the derivative work under the terms described in the section for distribution above, provided that the following terms are met:
(a) The new, derivative work is published under the terms of this License.
(b) The derivative work is given a new name, so that its name or title can not be confused with the Work, or with a version of the Work, in any way.
(c) Appropriate authorship credit is given: for the differences between the Work and the new derivative work, authorship is attributed to you, while the material sampled or used from the Work remains attributed to the original Author; appropriate notice must be included with the new work indicating the nature and the dates of any modifications of the Work made by you.
According to Design Science License here,it seems that we could translate these volumes without permission if we follow the terms and conditions above.

So I'll start the work.

MichealY.