Transition from Assembly to C

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Codar, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Codar

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Greetings everyone.

I have traditionally only done PIC programming with MPLAB IDE in assembly language. I use the Pickit 3 to do it at the moment. I want to transition to programming in C, but I am a bit confused as to how this works. Can I just use MPLAB IDE for it? I keep reading about compilers so I'm assume mplab doesn't include one, so what is my best solution?

I would also love to find a good simulator to test out code.

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    You go to the Microchip website, find the compiler to match your PIC, download and install it.

They work inside MPLAB so you will be familiar with the environment.

If you look for the PICkit 3 debug express package you will find some C tutorials there to download.

Codar likes this.
  3. Codar

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    thank you sir.

4. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Proteus ISIS is a simulator that supports many but not all the PICs. After you have the schematics drawn, you can load the Hex code onto the PIC and run it in the simulator. The demo version can be downloaded for free trial. Just google for the keywords "labcenter electronics" and "proteus" for the download site.

I also heard that multisim is a good simulator but have never used it. No sure if it can emulate PIC in animation mode or not.....

Allen

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  5. goprofishs

Dec 17, 2012
    yeah, good info to me, Proteus ISIS is a simulator that supports many but not all the PICs,thanks[​IMG]

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    MPLAB has a simulator that supports each and every PIC.

7. Ian Rogers

Dec 12, 2012
    ErnieM likes this.