Transistors - faked or failed ones?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by atferrari, May 26, 2012.

1. atferrari

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    There is a lot of 40 transistors marked as:
    BC550
    C K7A
    (no logo
    )

I spent part of the morning matching them in pairs of similar Vbe for a constant current.They were all tested diode-connected (collector to base). No news here.

When trying to measure Ic for a constant Ib of 0,107 mA, found that no matter what Vb I applied to Rb (or leaving in the air), Ic was a steady 34 mA and transistor was rather warm.

After two hours checking everything, and contradicting what the datasheet shows, I reversed the pins (easy because base is the middle pin) and everything started to be "normal" with an Ic of 25 mA only when +9 V was applied to the base resistor. Otherwise, Ic = 0 mA.

Recalling that my DMM has hFE measurements, I got some credible value of 210 appr only when reversing the pins as above.

Further tests with a LED confirmed that something is going wrong: in the datasheet condtion, if I apply +9V to Rb and then leave it in the air, the LED stays dimly ON.

Reversing pins, LED switches ON and OFF as expected.

Last tests I did just for few of them. I had enough for he day.

Faked or failed ones sent to market expecting an idiot like me buying them?

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    I suspect that the pinouts may be different. Even transistors with the same part numbers can have different pin orders.

Eric

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I have one lot of faked PN2222 I bought a long while ago. It was still a good deal, the other 19 lots of different transistor (Qty 1000/lot) were good, and I paid a pittance for 20000 transistors. I suspect these were fall outs. Given the base price was something like $10 I didn't hold it against them.

BG Micro sells a lot of Mfg marked PN2222 for 1000/$4 if you are ever interested.

5. atferrari

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Gracias Bill and to all that replied.

It seems they had just the pins reversed because a detailed test show they are working OK. :) :) :)

After so many years of RTFM I trusted the 6 or 7 datasheets I looked for first. This time, it did not help and that is why I believed they were faulty (or faked).

BTW, those 4 USD, is a third of what I paid for the lot of 40 locally. Such is life...

Soldering now.