Transistors and Resistance

RhysGM

Joined Nov 4, 2012
Hello, I have a transistor (BC547B) that is being used as a switch, connected to the base I have an 9v battery and an LDR with a maximum resistance of 1m ohms. However this is still not enough not to switch off the transistor. Can someone tell me how I can work out what resistors I need, so the transistor is on in the light and off in the dark?

Links for the components I'm using;

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electron...468/?sid=b45ead51-5d50-4c3d-9f34-1e06a4f70d0c

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Light-Dependent-Photoresistor-58-0134

Thanks for any help you can give.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Put a resistor from the base to ground. Experiment with the value of the resistance starting with a high value such as 470kΩ and working your way down.

Edit: Jony130 beat me to it. That circuit should help.

RhysGM

Joined Nov 4, 2012
Put a resistor from the base to ground. Experiment with the value of the resistance starting with a high value such as 470kΩ and working your way down.

Edit: Jony130 beat me to it. That circuit should help.
I put in a 1m ohm and the circuit remained on :confused:

RhysGM

Joined Nov 4, 2012
You need to add this components
Does R2 and R1 need to be the same?

I'm actually trying to replicate this project.

www.madlab.org/schematics/StopThief.pdf

I think I bought the wrong LDR there were 2 one with a max of 20mΩ and another with 1mΩ.

I'm not sure what the 2 10k resistors are doing in your diagram and I think they are similar to the LDR and the 47k and preset in my project, however I'm not sure how to balance the equation.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You said 1m ohm and 2m ohm which are milli-ohms (0.001 ohms and 0.002 ohms).
You should have said 1M and 2M which are megohms (1 million ohms and 2 million ohms).

RhysGM

Joined Nov 4, 2012
You said 1m ohm and 2m ohm which are milli-ohms (0.001 ohms and 0.002 ohms).
You should have said 1M and 2M which are megohms (1 million ohms and 2 million ohms).
Thank you for the correction. Do you know of a formula that I can use to work out what how much resistance I need to use?