Transistors and Relays

Nocturnicon

Joined Dec 18, 2008
Howdy everybody!

About two weeks ago I decided to finally start in the world of electronics. Got all the gear I wanted and soldered one or two simple projects and loving it. :D I'm busy reading up on the different components and there are two concepts that I am struggling with. What is the real difference between a relay and a Transistor?

I have found many examples of their applications and they are used in completely different ways but from what I can gather they are pretty much doing the same thing. Can somebody please explain to a noob what the difference really is? I'm sure that I'm over complicating it for myself.

Thanks a lot in advance!

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Can somebody please explain to a noob what the difference really is? I'm sure that I'm over complicating it for myself.
Simply put it is the electrical isolation and safety that a relay can offer. When one use a transistor, the load is somehow still connected to the circuit and there is no electrical isolation.

This is obviously not good say when a load on AC120 or 240V is being switched.

A relay is also a mechanical device and thus will take on more abuses than semiconductor regarding transient and surge.

However, a relay cannot compete with the speed, life time and power consumption of semiconducting devices.