Transistor...?

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Here is my schematic of phase shift oscillator, i want to know how to choose what should be the voltage across base of transistor and other such parameter as capacitor, pls pls tell me what is the procedure for this will designing ckt...!:confused:

Attachments

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Choosing the transistor bias voltage is a simple function of picking a voltage that is greater than the EB voltage drop. This will make the transistor 'turn on'. If you are inputing a sine wave to the base then the bias voltage you select should reflect whether you want the transistor 'on' for the entire 360 degree sine wave, or just a portion of it.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
R7 in your oscillator is supposed to connect to the collector of the transistor.

Your oscillator circuit has nothing to limit its output amplitude so it will be clipped with bad distortion.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
If you are inputing a sine wave to the base then the bias voltage you select should reflect whether you want the transistor 'on' for the entire 360 degree sine wave, or just a portion of it.
now, i am understanding how to select voltage but have doubt in turning on transistor for some portion, pls sir, give some example of it for better understanding..!
:confused:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010

When the base voltage rises .7 volts above the emitter voltage(ground) then the transistor conducts and the voltage at the collector goes down to very near emitter level. As soon as the voltage goes below .7 volts the transistor turns off and the voltage at the collector rises to the supply rail level.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010

Attachments

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
still having some question about, calculating the value of resistance in potential divider bias.
as how to find value of resistance pls give some more example of it.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
still having some question about, calculating the value of resistance in potential divider bias.
If you go to school and learn about transistors or read about them on the internet then you will see that the potential divider that makes the base bias should have a current that is 10 times to 20 times the base current. This circuit has the current in the potential divider about 14.5 times the base current.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I once used 4.7K resistors because that was all I had. I would have prefered to use 10K resistors so the overall current use would be lower, but, guess what?, BOTH of them worked just fine.

:)

Lots of hobby designers pick a value because "It is what they have on hand"

Stop obsessing over EXACT value and build something would you. Experiment and "see what happens when..."

:) Get busy on the project and quite hanging out here asking questions- do the experiment and see what happens. Look at the meter readings change. Learn by doing. Often times the most educational experience you have will be a monumental failure. Those moments truly teach.

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The current in the potential divider that biases a transistor should be 10 times to 20 times the base current because then a low gain transistor, a medium gain transistor and a high gain transistor will all work almost the same. When you buy a transistor you don't know its current gain.

If the resistor values in the potential divider are lower than 10 times the required value then the input impedance is too low and the value of the input capacitor must be increased to pass low frequencies. So you should not simply use whatever values you have.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I seen in Robert L. Boylestad (elect. book), it give a relation (beta)*Re>= 10*R2 (Testing Condition) what does it mean??
You forgot to post the schematic that shows R2.
R2 might be the resistor to ground in the potential divider that biases the base of a common-emitter transistor.
Beta is the current-gain of a transistor. Re is its emitter resistor.
The book says that beta times Re should be more than ten times R2.
Similar to saying that the current in the potential divider should be 10 times to 20 times the base current.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
What does this mean??
pls give example.
You need a better translation program. "The current in the potential divider should be 10 times to 20 times (more than) the base current (of the transistor)".
I said it in perfect English.

Didn't you see the phase-shift oscillator project that I posted? Didn't you calculate its voltages and currents?

Attachments