transistor

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The datasheet for the 2N2369 transistor and for every other American silicon transistor show that they saturate well when their base current is 1/10th the collector current. Beta has nothing to do with saturation. The base must be forced for the transistor to saturate.

You forgot to say what is the collector current so we don't know if your base current of 1mA is enough.

zgmfx20a

Joined Sep 16, 2009
I'd like to stick to Ic = 10ma to keep the transistor in saturation. I'm using the same calculations as post #14. I guess I wouldn't need a 26k resistor at the collector then, but what value should it be?

My biggest concern is if it will work for an oscillating signal in the 1.5-2V range? Would a transistor be able to properly switch this signal ?

zgmfx20a

Joined Sep 16, 2009
I don't have access to an oscilloscope to measure the exact value of input Ic being shorted. I realize this complicates stuff, because most examples used so far have clear values available for Ic, making it easier to design the switching circuit with the transistor.

Is there any other way to consistently be able to switch a signal to ground ? I was hoping to find an easier way to switch without knowing the characteristics of the signal being shorted.