Transistor Suggestions for Differential Amp

sailmike

Joined Nov 11, 2013
Hi, I'm looking for transistor suggestions to use in a differential amplifier. I need a pair of N-channel MOSFET's or JFET's to use and could use some suggestions on which ones to use. The supply voltage will be 0 to 5 volts and the input signal will be around 100 to 300 mV not including any offset.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi, I'm looking for transistor suggestions to use in a differential amplifier. I need a pair of N-channel MOSFET's or JFET's to use and could use some suggestions on which ones to use. The supply voltage will be 0 to 5 volts and the input signal will be around 100 to 300 mV not including any offset.

Thanks a lot,
Mike
Is that all you got for requirements? That's not much to go on.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The transistor you would use at 100 Hz are very different from 100 MHz. Other factors also need to be considered depending on your application.

sailmike

Joined Nov 11, 2013
The differential amplifier is part of an op-amp that will be used as one of two in a sample and hold circuit. The input for the sample and hold will go up to 100 kHZ. The rest of the op-amp works fine.

The 2N5564/65/66 doesn't appear to be available. I checked Mouser, Digikey, and Newark for this part. Does anybody else have suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
The differential amplifier is part of an op-amp that will be used as one of two in a sample and hold circuit. The input for the sample and hold will go up to 100 kHZ. The rest of the op-amp works fine.
Keep in mind that J-FET''s (and MOS-FET's) have very inexact threshold voltages. Because of this the amplifier will have a large amount input offset voltage. You can reduce this by either using a dual device or matching the J-FET's yourself.

Are you building your own op-amp? :eek:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yeah I'm required to design and build the op-amp from discrete components. So, doesn't anybody have suggestions?
It's not something that anybody besides a student would do. So it seems that you should pour over datasheets until you find one that is suitable. I would shortcut the process by using the search tools from Digi-Key or Mouser and finding one that was cheap and available. If it turns out not to meet the requirements at least you will have some ironclad justification for your choice. Who needs a design that can't be built and costs an arm and a leg on top of that. Relax -- you'll be fine regardless of your choice.