Transimpedance Amplifier Bandwidth Calculation

dannybeckett

Joined Dec 9, 2009
Hi guys -

I'm trying to calculate the bandwidth of my transimpedance amplifier. I was assuming that you can simply divide the GBWP by the feedback resistor you incorporate (and hence the transimpedance gain) to find your GBWP limit, but I don't think this is the way to do it. I would appreciate a more knowledgable insight into this calculation!

Thanks a lot

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You calculate the amplifier circuit bandwidth by calculating the gain from the non-inverting (+) input to the output and dividing the GBWP by that gain. Thus if you have an inverting gain of -1, the gain from the non-inverting input would be 2 so you divide the GBWP by 2 to get the circuit bandwidth. This assumes there are no other frequency determining components in the op amp circuit.

Last edited:

dannybeckett

Joined Dec 9, 2009
I thought this was the case too crutschow, but transimpedance amplifiers are not governed by the GBWP in the same way normal amplifiers are -

Page 11: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa846.pdf

"Adding the common-mode and differential-mode input capacitance (1.8 + 2.0)pF to the 50pF diode source capacitance of Figure 3, with a 10kΩ transimpedance gain using the 1750MHz GBP for the OPA846, requires a feedback pole set to 16.1MHz. This requires a 1pF total feedback capacitance. Typical surface-mount resistors have 0.2pF parasitic capacitance leaving a required extrinsic 0.8pF value, as shown in Figure 3. Equation 2 gives the approximate –3dB bandwidth, if CF is set using Equation 1."

Equation 2:

This theory is backed up at the beginning of the OPA656 datasheet:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa656.pdf

"Broad transimpedance bandwidths are achievable given the OPA656’s high 230MHz gain bandwidth product. As shown below, a –3dB bandwidth of 1MHz is provided even for a high 1MΩ transimpedance gain from a 47pF source capacitance."

If transimpedance amplifiers worked as normal voltage amps do, a 1MΩ gain would result in a bandwidth of 230Hz, using this specific op amp.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I thought this was the case too crutschow, but transimpedance amplifiers are not governed by the GBWP in the same way normal amplifiers are -

Well, I did give myself an out with my statement "This assumes there are no other frequency determining components in the op amp circuit." :rolleyes: Obviously the various input stray capacitances do affect the bandwidth.