Transient response of semicinductor switch

paw1

Joined Jan 13, 2015
I want to simulate the transient response of a high frequency (~100 MHz) sine wave when a semiconductor switch (SPDT) changes its output path.

I made a switching circuit in LTspice IV, but it resulted in an ideal response (no transients).

I also tried to make a similar circuit in Simulink, but I couldn't even make it run due to the error:
"Each physical network must be connected to exactly one Solver Configuration block. There is no Solver Configuration block connected to Physical Network with the following blocks: ...". I included the Solver Configuration block in the schematic, but it wouldn't connect to the circuit since it had the wrong connector.

Best regards
-paw

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I want to simulate the transient response of a high frequency (~100 MHz) sine wave when a semiconductor switch (SPDT) changes its output path.
If you share a schematic of what you are thinking about, we might be able to help you.

paw1

Joined Jan 13, 2015
It's something like this:
System.png
I want to simulate the transient response when the switch is turned to the "On" position.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So, let me understand...
How fast are you switching the SPDT?

Why are you running a 100 MHz signal at 10 amps directly into ground (short circuit?) when the SPDT switch is off.

Where do you live that a circuit like this will be useful or interesting? That is, a 100MHz signal driving a load that draws 10 Amp will cause all kinds of interference in the FM radio band.

Is the 100MHz a carrier wave and the BP filter passes another frequency or is it simply passing the 100MHz input signal?

paw1

Joined Jan 13, 2015
The SPDT will be switched about every half millisecond. The signal will have other frequencies as well, that's why the BP-filter is there.

It was stupid to draw a ground in the 'Off'-position. What I actually meant was 'Ignore this part of the circuit' as it doesn't matter. I also meant 10 V not 10 A (haven't had any coffee today).

The only thing I'm interested in is to see the transient response when the switch goes to 'On'-position.

paw1

Joined Jan 13, 2015
What "transients" are you expecting to see?
I expect to see transients of higher frequencies (than 100 MHz) just after the switch has changed position, as I've been told is the real world situation with these kinds of switches.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
If it is a passive filter I don't think you will see any transient. If it is active there might be a better possibility of some depending on what it looks like.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That transient is due to real-world parasitic capacitance and inductance in the circuit, which are layout and component dependent. So you need to add an estimated value for those in you circuit if you want to see the high frequency transient.
Some parasitic capacitance will be introduced if you use a MOSFET for the switch, for example.

paw1

Joined Jan 13, 2015
That transient is due to real-world parasitic capacitance and inductance in the circuit, which are layout and component dependent. So you need to add an estimated value for those in you circuit if you want to see the high frequency transient.
Some parasitic capacitance will be introduced if you use a MOSFET for the switch, for example.
That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Maybe using a MOSFET could get me there simulation-wise. The problem is that it's hard to find good switch-models for LTspice.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
And if the filter is low-pass, or band-pass, it will attenuate any transients caused by the switch. Also note that the magnitude of any transients is greatly dependent on the phase of the RF at the instant the switch closes. If the switch is a device like a PIN diode, then you can also shape the switching signal to limit the rate at which the switch turns on, which is what is done in most VHF transceivers that use PIN diode T/R switching.

You would only use the LTSpice switch if you are modelling a relay. Exactly what is doing the switching?

paw1

Joined Jan 13, 2015
And if the filter is low-pass, or band-pass, it will attenuate any transients caused by the switch. Also note that the magnitude of any transients is greatly dependent on the phase of the RF at the instant the switch closes. If the switch is a device like a PIN diode, then you can also shape the switching signal to limit the rate at which the switch turns on, which is what is done in most VHF transceivers that use PIN diode T/R switching.

You would only use the LTSpice switch if you are modelling a relay. Exactly what is doing the switching?
One of the functions of the BP-filter is to attenuate these transients, along with harmonic signals. I need to simulate (document) this because it's going to be part of a report for a school project. If possible, I want to simulate the transient response at several points through one cycle.

The switching will be done by a semiconductor device. Most probably a SPDT-switch.

Thanks.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Have you tried searching semiconductor-SPDT-switch-manufacturers' sites to see if they have a Spice model available for download?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That part has a very high frequency response so I would expect that any significant switch transients will be the result of the external parasitic inductance and capacitance, which is largely layout dependent.

Are you going to use microstrip or stripline (transmission line) design of the circuit board?
That would significantly reduce any transients.

paw1

Joined Jan 13, 2015
That part has a very high frequency response so I would expect that any significant switch transients will be the result of the external parasitic inductance and capacitance, which is largely layout dependent.

Are you going to use microstrip or stripline (transmission line) design of the circuit board?
That would significantly reduce any transients.
I'm not sure if stripline will be possible, so I guess microstrip is more probable. Although, I must admit, I haven't really thought about interconnecting possibilities yet.