Transformers

Anomaly

Joined Jan 9, 2004
Please elaborate on the context of your question. I don't want to make assumptions. I'll do what I can to answer your question. :blink:

SteveYTI

Joined Feb 9, 2004
if you are looking at the differences it is application based. a transformer is pretty much physically equivalent to a hunk of metal. it looks like it would feel if you tried to lift it, but its all about windings; power in and power out is what you look at and for the most part the differences in the types of transformers is based upon what the output is from the input. a good place to find real technical information would be to go to a companys website that makes transformers. Neeltran and Power Magnetics are some of the venders my company uses all the time. I dont usually distinguish between "type" of transformer steppe, isolation etc. Mostly I know what I have coming in and what I need to put out both in voltage, phase, and power(watts) I Hope this information helps or at least points you in the direction for the information you are looking for

ALL TRANSFORMERS WORK ON THE PRINCIPLE OF MUTUAL INDUCTANCE,AND SO WHETHER THE TRANSFORMER IS STEP-UP OR STEP-DOWN,IMPEDANCE MATCHING , ISOLATION OR AUTO TRANSFORMER,THEY ALL REQUIRE TURNS RATIO CALCULATIONS IN ORDER TO DESIGN THEM.ALL TRANSFORMERS HAVE AT LEAST ONE PRIMARY WINDING AND ONE SECONDARY WINDING EXCEPT AUTO TRANSFORMERS THAT ONLY HAVE ONE WINDING,RATHER LIKE LOW FREQUANCY CHOKES,AND DO NOT PROVIDE ANY ISOLATION.THE PERMIABILITY OF THE CORE IS ALSO IMPORTANT IN DETERMINING THE EFFICIENCY AND OPPERATING FREQUANCY OF THE DEVICE.TRANSFORMERS ARE TYPICALLY 90% EFFICIENT AT FULL LOAD.