Transformers opens and shorts......

kennethdmurry

Joined Apr 8, 2016
I have searched the web without success, unfortunately my class materials do not include this specific info (it's a new organization and still working out the bugs and filling in holes) and the instructor is busy helping those more in the need than I. Can't complain, it's free; by Veterans for Veterans.

I am looking for info on how and why an open and/or a short affects the other windings in a transformer, including multi- secondary.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
An open pretty much only affects that winding and result in no output.
With a short circuit in a secondary winding, the current is reflected back to the primary and if saturation occurs, very high current and low to limited current output on other secondaries, depending on the degree of the short circuit.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
why an open and/or a short affects the other windings in a transformer,
Because they are all coupled together with the magnetic field. If any one coil tries to dump all the energy (short), it can be fairly successful. An open only affects the winding that is open...unless it's the primary. Then it stops everything.

kennethdmurry

Joined Apr 8, 2016
An open pretty much only affects that winding and result in no output.
With a short circuit in a secondary winding, the current is reflected back to the primary and if saturation occurs, very high current and low to limited current output on other secondaries, depending on the degree of the short circuit.
Max.
That helped, thanks.