Transformers in series for AC phase measurement

ToonooT

Joined Aug 8, 2013
Hi all,

I want to measure AC line voltage and frequency from a 3 phases ~400V generator (wind turbine application) and no neutral.
In order to measure this I need to get this signal to let's say 0-3.3V and isolated from high voltage.

The best solution for me is to measure between two phases with a transformer.
So, I was looking for a transformer which can directly handle such voltage but it seems hard to find. By doing research on compenents I found this one :
http://catalog.triadmagnetics.com/i...mount-split-pack-power-transformers/f10-110-1
It can provide two 5V outputs output from 230V.
My questions are :
- Can I put 2 of this one in series to handle up to 460V ?
- Do I need to equilibrate load between this 2 transformers ? (link all outputs in parallel so 4 outputs because of 2 outputs per transformer)
- Do I need to install this solution between each phase to equilibrate the load ? For me, assuming the load will be very light, it's not necessary.

Hope someone can help me
Thanks and Happy new year !

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
I want to measure AC line voltage and frequency from a 3 phases ~400V generator (wind turbine application) and no neutral.
For this i think, you should use less VA transformer or Current transformer
by this convert to voltage divider 3.3V max.
by this it can work.

ToonooT

Joined Aug 8, 2013
Thanks for your answer but how can I measure Voltage with a Current transformer ?
Is it not only to measure current ?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
A 100:1 voltage divider would not load down your generator, and would provide a 0 to 5 volt scaled reading of your generator voltage.
A 2 Meg resistor in series with 20k resistor would be my suggestion

ToonooT

Joined Aug 8, 2013
Of course it will not load the generator but this solution is not isolated from power lines which can be dangerous.
Also, I don't have a common voltage reference between generator and my device so for me, it's not a good approach.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
ANYTHING which generates 400 to 500 volts is dangerous, so having a current of 200 or so microamps flowing through a 2 Meg resistor to ground is not an increased risk in this respect.

Ground is a common electrical condition with both your generator and your meter. Use it.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yes the series combo should work. Loading them the same is also a good idea to keep it all in balance.

I would not worry about the load on the 3phase power, it should not notice the slight imbalance.

Isolating the monitor from the HV as you are doing recommended.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
They make "control transformers" that go directly across two 480 legs. They usually output 120 or 24 vac. I use to find them at 12 v, but that's been awhile.

The output is proportional the the leg(line) voltage. Yours will be a little lower.

You can measure the frequency and voltage across the <24 vac. Or knock that down to where you need it.

One transformer per phase.

ToonooT

Joined Aug 8, 2013
Ok thanks for your help.

I think I will follow your advice Erniem, by putting 2x230V transformers in series between two 480 legs in order to get my 5V AC signal from power.