Transformers determination

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Nara Shikamaru, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Nara Shikamaru

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Hey Everybody! i have several Transformers at my wotkbench, how do i determine of what Values are! can i know what are the values of the primary and secondary! Thanks!
  2. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    A rough way would be:

Identify terminals so you can say what are the primary and the secondary / ies.

Measure their ohmic value (resistance) to have an idea of how many turns each thus who is who.

Apply with care a small AC to the higher ohmic value (secondary) to see how much (less) you get across the primary.

Calculate Vout / Vin to obtain the turns ratio.

How much current to use in actual application? If no clues from previous use, I am afraid you are just guessing.
    PackratKing likes this.
  3. Nara Shikamaru

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    That´s it? juts measure the ohmic value on each side?....and then with what relation i obtain the number of turns?....

another doing a series of simulations of circuits using Isis Proteus!....and in the circuit that uses Transformers if you want to set the Primary and Secondary voltages you must do a Conversion or modify the Henrios in the program, cause Isis does not put the transformers values in terms of Voltages there any equation of how many Henrios and Turns does X voltage has?