Transformers determination

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Nara Shikamaru, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Nara Shikamaru

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Hey Everybody! i have several Transformers at my wotkbench, how do i determine of what Values are!....how can i know what are the values of the primary and secondary! Thanks!

2. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    A rough way would be:

Identify terminals so you can say what are the primary and the secondary / ies.

Measure their ohmic value (resistance) to have an idea of how many turns each thus who is who.

Apply with care a small AC to the higher ohmic value (secondary) to see how much (less) you get across the primary.

Calculate Vout / Vin to obtain the turns ratio.

How much current to use in actual application? If no clues from previous use, I am afraid you are just guessing.

PackratKing likes this.
  3. Nara Shikamaru

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    That´s it? juts measure the ohmic value on each side?....and then with what relation i obtain the number of turns?....

another thing....im doing a series of simulations of circuits using Isis Proteus!....and in the circuit that uses Transformers if you want to set the Primary and Secondary voltages you must do a Conversion or modify the Henrios in the program, cause Isis does not put the transformers values in terms of Voltages ratios....is there any equation of how many Henrios and Turns does X voltage has?