transformerless battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevecoats

Joined Feb 5, 2012
I would like to build a battery charger for my boat really cheap but talented (20-30A and regulated). My boat is in an area that things have a tendency to disappear. A $50 20A battery charger seems to mysteriously levitate and float away and I want to leave it there and not worry about it. I'm thinking a full bridge rectifier directly out of an existing GFI recepticle into a pwm controller driving a 400v 30A power FET that I have a few lying around. I was thinking of using a 555, but I think that I should use a frequency of about 1M Hz. Maybe the vco of a 4046? I have looked through the forum and not found anything quite up to snuff. Any suggestions?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
An excerpt from our Terms of Service:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
Transformers (or some form of inductive coupling; as in a broadband transformer) are required to provide galvanic isolation from mains power to the output. It's a critical safety feature

Besides that, your scheme simply would not work.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
LEDs to mains
Phone jammers
Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
Transformer-less power supplies

This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.