transformer

mines

Joined Feb 9, 2011
Hi I'm currently rewiring a transformer. I ground the top wields off and took it apart. The 120V. winding are fine and I'm stepping it down to 12V. I was surprised to find a second set of laminated iron in-between the 120V and the other two sets of windings. What is this for and should I put it back in between the 120V and the 12V when I install my new windings?

mines

Joined Feb 9, 2011
I can't figure out how to post a pic. Its asking for a "url" format? and won't accept my picture. Can I put it in an e-mail and then send it to this web site?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Try explaining it. Someone may get it.

What would the core look like with no windings?

E and I?
O?

What was original purpose?
Microwave?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Picture....................................

Per email................

"The two things sitting on top that look like candy bars are actually laminated iron rapped in paper. They fit in-between the windings of which only the 120V is installed."

Attachments

Last edited:

mines

Joined Feb 9, 2011
So then I take it that reinstalling these little bars in-between the two windings is not going to do me any favors. I am still wondering what the heck they are for. I can't see how they would act as current limiters but then it's obvious that I'm still learning about the behavior of transformers.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The MOT has current limiting.
The Magnetic shunts will limit the secondary current.

So If u need to use lower secondary voltage like me, just don't use the magnetic shunts.

Googling will help you. Try googling MOT rewinding

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Another example where it is used is in SMAW (stick) welding, the O.C. voltage of the transformer could be around 100vac, so when the arc is struck, (short circuit) the current would exceed the rating of the transformer and you would not be able to regulate the welding current.
By introducing a magnetic shunt the voltage collapses to a suitable selected degree depending on the thickness being welded by adjusting the shunt.
This shows a bit about shunts and other methods used, particularly fig 2 & 5.
Max.

mines

Joined Feb 9, 2011
That's very cool! As one of my next projects is going to be a wielder that's a wonderful thing to learn and apply.
Thanks again ,, Mr. Headroom