transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bladerunner

Joined Apr 15, 2012
I rebuild MY fence chargers that I purchased from a fellow who made them. These were always hotter than what you could purchase and this is a plus when you have 20 miles of wire, coyotes and other vermin stalking your animals. Unfortunately, he is no longer with us but while he was here, he was always thinking up electronic gadgets and building them. In fact , most of us were in diapers when he started and I am 62.

My biggest problem is transformers. It is very hard to find these step-up type. Most of the large fence charger companies protect their property and do not sell them as parts. FI-Shock is one that does.

The problem is the transformer will show 4.2 kV or less at times then all of a sudden it will show 9.9 kV with no load on it other than my meter. Of course it is hard to place any kind of load on a fencer other than placing several resisters in series to its posts. I have checked the continuity and have found that both the primary and secondary are open. (The meter goes to zero when the leads are connected)

I understand from reading just about everything I can about transformers, a current jump in the wiring (primary) may be caused by the amount of current entering the transformer.

What can I do to prevent this or find a transformer that works or just simply tear one down and count the turns, type of wire and rebuild the thing.

Bladerunner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.