Transformer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by andreaschar90, Mar 20, 2012.

1. andreaschar90

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Dear all,
    I am constructing a separable transformer with AC power supply. I measure the voltage and the current in the primary and secondary sides and they are not in phase.So i am using a capacitor bank in order to bring in phase the voltage-current. When i am trying to bring in phase the voltage-current in the primary side, the phase angle in the secondary is getting worst and vice-versa. Also, i am using the capacitor in series topology in the primary side and in parallel in the secondary side.
    The question is: which phase angle should be unity? in the primary side, in the secondary side or in both. Also, which topology do you suggest?
    series-parallel
    parallel-series
    series-series
    parallel-parallel ?

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Why is the secondary voltage not in phase with the primary voltage?
    What is the phase difference?
    If the phase difference is 180 degrees, reverse the connections to the secondary winding.

3. andreaschar90

Nov 8, 2011
    i am not measuring the phase angle between the primary and the secondary voltage but the voltage-current phase in the primary and in the secondary side

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    If you are feeding a resistive load, the phase angle should be zero.

5. andreaschar90

Nov 8, 2011
    you still do not answer my question

6. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    It depends on the reason you want them in phase in the first place. You need to be more clear and specific in stating what it is you want if you want a clear and specific answer. And what is a 'separable transformer'? What are you separating? You said "I measure the voltage and the current in the primary and secondary sides and they are not in phase." Then you said "i am not measuring the phase angle between the primary and the secondary". Confusing.

7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I quit once I get impolite responses.

alim likes this.
  8. andreaschar90

Nov 8, 2011
    Sorry about my impolite answers.
    I measure the voltage current phase angle and i am trying to bring them in phase. Separarable it means wireless tranformer with two separated cores by an air gap. The main question is which side should i bring in phase?

9. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    What is the transformer output load?

If the current lags the voltage, then a capacitor in parallel across the output load should help reduce the phase angle.

If the current leads the voltage, then an inductor in series with the output load should help reduce the phase angle.

andreaschar90 likes this.
  10. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    this is a bit of a puzzle. You should probably explain more on what your concepts are. On the secondary side, your load determines the phase angle, so you would correct your load. On the primary side, your loading of the transformer plays a large role in phasing. You can correct the supply to the physical point of correction, but the transformer itself will have a phase displacement depending on it's qualities, who's properties are load dependant.

andreaschar90 likes this.
  11. andreaschar90

Nov 8, 2011
    Thanks for your replies.
    I brought in phase the voltage and current in the primary and secondary sides by adding series-series capacitors. So the apparent power is almost the same with the real input power due to the capacitors. However, the rated input voltage and current are still low. I mean the output voltage and current from the power supply. Also the output voltage and current from the transformer are still low. For example: I1=10A,I2=2.85A, V1=24.85V,V2=44V.
    By the way the transformer (single phase) is 1:1 ratio.

Another one question is why the rated current is only 10 A while the limit of the current on the power supply is 15 A?
    the power supply can produce:
    voltage=300 V and current = 15 A